Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

starter winds but dosen't engage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924paige  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: starter winds but dosen't engage Reply with quote

hi i just he old replaced the old starter from my most recent buy ... but when i turn the key i hear the starter motor winding but it seems like it dosen't engage ... could this be a relay? i have one on order just in case. thanks
924paige  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts... one member said it is the solenoid.... but the starter is new... well remanufactured bosch...is there any way to be sure?
germ924  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take it back.
or check the wires. the one hot wire that engages the gear to push out might not have a good connection or it is just corroded
924paige  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS... for all the help SHE LIVES i went back and checked the wiring and noticed that i put the two large lead together. no wonder why it was so hard to put those wires on duuhhhh.. i fixed it put the wires where they belong and she started right up... but now i have another problem the battery light lit up so i turned it off restsarted and after 30 seconds it went back on i gusee i'm going to have to change the alternator now ... it's got to be a love for these machines because i'm not upset ....... yet. thanks again
924paige  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS.....well it looks like i was wrong again some Pelican member says i had it right the first time just needed to check for a proper ground ging to the bell housing ...so i'm going to remove the wires again to see what happens .... because of the two leads one goes to the altenator and the other comes from the battery and the third is the small one that goes to the solenoid.. this is my the 4th time i've changed a starter... not on the same car... but other 944's and never had a problem till now ... will see...
924guy  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going through a similar issues, seems to be common lately.

big wire from battery goes to big terminal on starter (terminal 30). on the same terminal, you will also have two smaller wires, the bridge to the alternator. i have no idea why they used two smaller instead of one big one, but it is what it is.

Terminal 50 gets the red/black wire (if its original colors anyhow) this wire runs in the small harness that starts at a three pin connector in front of the battery tray, and two of those wires should lead back to secondary connections at at the pos bat terminal.

term 15a (or 16 according to haynes) will be the black wire that leads into the same connector as terminal 50 above, but come out of there as a green/black wire (maybe) eventually it leads to the coil and igniton control unit.

according to some research 15a is actually an output wire, im still trying to figure that out, and if so what the rating is as im only get 1-5 volts when the starter clutch /bendix is engaged, otherwise it does nothing and im not sure if thats normal.

99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
924paige  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help i went back and removed the starter and started all over cleaned all the ends made sure i had proper ground to bell houseing reatached the leads 2 big ones to the large lug and she started up fine but the battery light is still on i've already ordered and paid for a new altenator so i'm going to install it ... and hopefully it will make it right thanks again for all the help.
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you listen for the engagement ring?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: