Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 , 1982 engine swap?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owenexile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: 924 , 1982 engine swap? Reply with quote

Hi there , i got my porsche 924 as my 1st car , and im loving it. Im looking for a engine that will fit in my 924 that wont cost much , im looking to spend around 5k. I want something that can show these skylines around here a trick or 2. Since most ppl around here drive skylines. The other part is , im not planing on selling the car , i want something that me and my dad can do together since we dont do much together. Any ideas? i wanted to do 350 engine swap or ls1 swap.

I came 2 the conclusion that 350 engine weight 2 much , and the ls1 engine almost have the same weight as the stock engine i got

Any ideas?

Rudi
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=29454
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go here:

http://porschehybrids.pbworks.com/

Read the Wiki, make notes of anything you're not sure of. Then go here:

http://www.porschehybrids.com/

and ask away.

The 350 isn't a bad solution with enough aluminum parts it isn't that bad on weight. Neither is the Ford small block (5.0L) BTW, the truck version of the LS1, is larger, all aluminum and easier to find.
mcadam1121  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do it dude
it would be worth it

your best bet is to swap in a 951 transaxle cause supposedly they are the best for v8 swaps or you could go with the 968 six speed

if you do that you can probably use a lot of the renegade parts

seeings how renegade only makes parts for the ls1 swap now that is you best bet id think

plus there are so many companies that make perf parts for the gm ls seires motors it will prolly not be all that expensive

but an ls1 swap is prolly goin to cost a bit more then 5k
the engine is prolly goin to cost you about half of that unless you got the hook up on pull out motors
id check craigslist to see if you could find a motor
if your lucky you could find one for like 1500 or so and that would be a pretty good deal

also if you racing skylines you mite be in trouble
if im not mistaken the skyline is awd so they are goin to have you off the line and if theyve got rb26s in them and theyve spent any money on the motor they are goin to have you in the long run to id imagine

but do the swap anyway
it would make the car a hell of a lot more fun
not saying it isnt fun now but more power equals more fun
bedsock  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: engine swap Reply with quote

has anyone tried a ford 302 or maybe a ford v6?
haroldk  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: engine swap Reply with quote

bedsock wrote:
has anyone tried a ford 302 or maybe a ford v6?

I'm planning on doing a 302 next year. The deck height is almost an inch lower than the LSx. I think it even weighs less with the stock iron heads than the all-aluminum LS engines. Also, there are something like 6 5.0 HO engines within 30 minutes of my house for under $300 whereas I can't get an LS1 for under $1000.

I haven't found anybody online who has done the swap since everybody is so LS1-crazy.
RC  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the Ford 5L "modular" engine you mean?

Actually looked like a good fit after a few beers. Mate who`s a Ford freak even had me with a tape measure. Looked an easier fit than the V6 commy (3.8 Buick for you Yanks) that another mate has been doing for years and lately trying to get NSW rego.

WTF do you do with the brakes and booster? The old HR (Holden) inline booster & MC I saw fitted in the washer bottle location did not inspire much confidence at all.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditching the booster is easiest. . .Tilton setup as Dan did on his Uber, no, Ulti, no. . .wait. . .oh yeah, Ultra Wide Body.
haroldk  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC wrote:
Thats the Ford 5L "modular" engine you mean?

Actually looked like a good fit after a few beers. Mate who`s a Ford freak even had me with a tape measure. Looked an easier fit than the V6 commy (3.8 Buick for you Yanks) that another mate has been doing for years and lately trying to get NSW rego.

WTF do you do with the brakes and booster? The old HR (Holden) inline booster & MC I saw fitted in the washer bottle location did not inspire much confidence at all.

I don't think Ford did the Mod motor in 5.0 here in the states until the Coyote available in the 2011 Mustang. I'm talking about the 5.0l Windsor. The Mod motor is freaking huge, especially for its displacement and power potential.

As for brakes, we're thinking hydroboost or a remote booster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: