Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

What is this sensor?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is located just above the oil drain plug at about 1 o'clock and apprx 2-3" above the plug. It has a yellow electic lead with a rubber boot. When the boot is removed there is a 3/16 pin and oil is oozing from this area. This on a 87 924S. I am assuming it is the oil temp sensor? There is a leak some where and I think this might be it. The housing this part is in is oval in shape and has (2)5mm or so bolts. Is this oil supposed to ooze? What is it? I am not dripping oil on the floor but there was oil on the drivers side and quite a bit. I am hoping this leak has "sprayed oil" in a larger area, over time. I do use a little oil, maybe a pint every week or so. Constant good pressure as well,4.5 to 5 bar. Oil light will flash at about half way on the dip stick and lower. At any rate this "plug" has a hard plastic sleeve that broke located just below the rubber boot. Hope I am discriptive enough to get an answer! HELP! Thx in advance! D

gohim  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sounds like the oil level sensor.

The only way to fix the leak is to remove the oil pan, and replace the sensor.

Does your oil level sensor work? According to my Factory Documentation, the mail parts of the oil level sender system were installed in stages, and many cars do not have complete working oil level sensor systems.

The three parts were #1 dash instrument, #2 wiring, and #3 oil level sensor in the oil pan.
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming the level sensor works. The light goes out when I top off the oil and stays off till the level drops below the "midpoint" on the dip stick.So does this mean I have to remove the engine to remove the pan? What's that process entail? Thx G!....D
gohim  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can drop the oil pan in the car, with removing the engine.

This involves supporting the engine, so you can remove the bolts from the crossmember to allow room to remove the oil pan.

While you are in there, you should replace the engine mounts as necessary.

Buy the crankcase gasket set, not just the oil pan gasket. The oil pan gasket will cost you $40-$50, and you should be able to purchase a complete crankcase gasket set for $70 or less. This will give you the oil pan gasket, and most of the front oil seals (which would normal cost you atleast $65-70, and the oil cooler seals (which would normally cost you another $25-$30 if purchased separately).
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well under further review...I see a leak at the rear of the oil pan right below the T Tube and bell housing. Rear seal? Thx D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: