Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Engine number?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, Any way to get the engine # other than the crankcase? i.e. through the VIN? Thx! D

[ This Message was edited by: dgz924s on 2002-09-27 09:53 ]
gohim  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with opening the hood and looking at the block?

On an 88, the block number is on the right side of the engine, easily visible when looking down from the top.

On earlier models, the serial number is on the left side at the rear, very close to the mount for the flywheel sensors.

Most 924S cars have had 2, or 3, or more owners by now, and many/most have had engine work done, or had the engine replaced by now. When I was looking at used 924S cars 8-10 years ago, I noticed that virtually all the 87s that I looked at with over 80K-100K miles had blown head gaskets, or had them replaced in this mileage range. Some of the cars had replacement engines already, because the owners did not catch failed oil coolers seals before the bearing, and other engines parts were damaged.

Looking at 944 cars made during the same period, during the same time period, I never saw more than one or two, with the same head gasket problem. I suspect that some/many of the head gasket problems were caused by owners who did not maintain their cars properly (924S were the least expensive Porsches, and like the owners of 924, and 914 cars before them, 924S owners who bought their cars for the name, and not because they liked the cars, many did not take proper care of them (or could not afford to)).

If you need to know the engine serial number of a particular car for some reason, the best way is to check it on the block. If you are the registered owner of the car in question, if you pay for a "Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche, you would get the original engine serial number of the block installed at the time the car was built. This still would not tell you what the serial number of the engine currently in the car is.
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gohim, I was looking at the area on the left side and there is alot of congestion to see it. I was ordering parts and needed to know if it was an early or late 87. I was time challenged! But I pulled out the folder of records and x referenced with a part number from a previous repair and that gave me what I needed to know!....It is the "spring loaded tensioner"...Thx for your reply!!! D
gohim  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't always tell for sure that way, especially if the paperwork is from the PO.

My 924S was built in 06/86, the month before the switch to the auto belt tensioner on 924S production. The block has a hole in it from where a rod came through before I bought it.

The engine that I am building to install in it is two months newer, and has the auto belt tensioner. Anyone that orders parts for the new engine based on the serial number of the car, or the build date of the car is going to get the wrong parts.

The 96 Ford Taurus Wagon that I bought had a bad transmission when I bought it. I knew the transmission was bad when I bought the car. I didn't care because I had a brand new engine and transmission from a 96 Taurus sedan that were removed when before the car was ever registered. The transmission I installed is AX4N four speed automatic, when the original was a AX4S four speed automatic. The mechanics at two Ford Dealershipships told me it would never run or work correctly. To install the new transmission I had to replace the cv axles, dual catalytic downpipe, and the PCM (computer). I got all of these parts with the new engine and transmission. The car runs great, but the labels under the hood, in the door jam, in in the Ford Manufacturing Records are now all wrong, and if someone were to order transmission or electronic replacement parts for the car, they would ge tthe wrong parts.

So, you are always better off verifying what you have, unless you already know for sure because you installed the other parts, or verified previously.

[ This Message was edited by: gohim on 2002-09-29 02:33 ]
dgz924s  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gohim, Good point...Mine was built in 7/87 D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: