Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Project Planning for 924 Performance Modifications
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I found and corrected all of the inaccurate discussions regarding the '86 951 spindle...if you see any more, please make a note of the section and either quote it or send me a pointer in PM so I can fix them.

To be clear, the issue is that the 86 951 spindle is a unique beast. It has the smaller hub diameter, so it is compatible with the earlier style hubs, but it has the late-style strut housing bolt pattern, so you have to source different strut housings, or you have to figure out a way to get the earlier strut housing to bolt up. Some guys have done that here by elongating one of the holes on the early strut housing to match the bolt pattern on the spindle and adding a spacer to account for the narrower mounting flange on the later spindles. The 86 951 spindle also has the larger bolt pattern to accommodate the Brembo 4-pot calipers, rather than the run-of-the-mill single pot 931/944 calipers.

Also, I added a new sub-section in the Suspension section that discusses options for addressing bump steer, including ride height adjusting ball joint kits and the Elephant Racing tie rod bump steer kit.
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added a new sub-section to the CLUTCH & TRANSMISSION section, detailing some enhancements and mods for the snailshell shifting setup, including my new writeup on How to build an Audi-style shift linkage for a G31 gearbox.
milnersXcoupe  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X

Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump it. This explains alot. Think Ill put together a special
notebook whilst draining my printers ink cartridges.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
924aussie  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this . so I have bumped it again and my Laser printer is going into overdrive

Alan
1995 Hyundai Scoupe ... sold
1998 Nissan Silvia ... sons back from OS he has taken it
BIG BLOODY MOTORHOME 300zx Sold
1980 Fire truck Sold
vatoisimo  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Stuff! I just got done doing the 5lug conversion on my 924 from a 81. powder coated the calipers, and it looks nice. A question about the master cylinder. The 4 lug m/c has 3 hard lines coming out: 2 in the front, and 1 in the back. The 5 lug m/c has 3 hard lines coming out: 1 in the front, and 2 in the back. Do you just switch them around? Can you use the brake fluid tank off the 4lug on the 5lug? Thanks for all the help you guys! Oh, ordered some brake lines from the garage too
Bonsai_BJJ  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: THANK YOU SIR Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the hard work you put into your thread. I was all MacGyver at first and then I realized how different the 924 really is compared to a 4g63 DSM or even the 1.9L Bimmers.

I'm really taken back by how complex modding a base 924 really is. I haven't taken delivery of the car yet, but after that very long read I've definitely decided to keep as many things as stock as possible.

I'll be using the 924 as a daily driver, so the most I'll do is probably change the brakes with lines and suspension parts for newer parts and light weight rims. I've also decided to keep it a 4 bolt.

Again I have been blown away with the amount of attention to detail on this forum. BIG thumbs up, allot more detailed (for the most part) than my old 2JZ forum.

Believe it or not I was going to slap on an aftermarket short runner intake manifold with a large throttle body to shift the power band just a tad higher in the rpm range but I don't know if that's a wise thing to do anymore.

As a new Porsche owner I'm a bit overwhelmed with the options available or should I say not available.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

BTW due to how impressed I was with the whole write up I can gaurantee that I'll be exclusively shopping at http://garage.ideola.com/

Cheers
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, and welcome to the forum. So many knowledgeable and helpful enthusiasts here! Definitely the best car forum on the Web
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: