Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

squeaky

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924mang  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also. along with the smell of gas, a very loud squeaking noise is occuring. I have just recently replaced the alternator belt. but it is the same loud constant squeak. only in gear, when in neutral, no squeak is heard. could the alternator belt be blowing again? even after I've replaced it? (same smell too)
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be bearings in the drive tube also check the fan on the alt to make sure it isn't rubbing on the bracket get someone in the car and try to hear where it is coming from
gohim  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had the timing and balance shaft belts, pulleys, and rollers, inspected? When was the last time that they were replaced, inspected, tensioned.

They are under the timing cover on the front of the engine, and you cannot inspect them without removing the accessory drive belts, and the front timing covers.

Probably is not the drive tube bearings because the drive tube constantly rotates when the ehgine is running, even when it is in neutral, since the transmission is in the rear, and the only time it is disengaged is when the clutch is engaged.

Could be one of the belts is too loose, and rubbing on the inside of teh timing cover, or one of the pulleys or rollers has a failing bearing. If a pulley or roller bearing fails, then the corresponding belt will break or get thrown, resulting in bent valves, or broken engine.

The timing and balance shaft belts must be replaced every 30K miles or three years, whichever comes first. Failure to have this completed in a itmely fashion results bent valves, and ruined engines.

[ This Message was edited by: gohim on 2002-09-19 12:13 ]
924mang  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem solved.
it was, and i quote from my friend
"the belt tensioner was missing a bolt and therefore it came apart and the serpentine belt came loose and snapped off."

still havent solved the squeaking noise though...
the timing belt was replaced when i bought the car, that was the first thing i had done.
Stu2j  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW..

The 924 cam pulley is a notorious squeaker as it gets old.

That's my bet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: