Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Still struggling through fresh car blues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still working my way through the kinks of the new car, will feel much better when it's finally running properly!

Seems like I'm now generating enough fuel pressure to keep a couple of the injectors, at least, open while running, so it's able to stumble through an idle; however still does not seem to run on 1 and 4. I suspect there might be a combination of clogged injectors and fuel distributor; tried soaking in acetone, but still not entirely there, may have to try again. I also still am waiting for a new fuel filter and intank pump, and have to clean the tank out still yet - not looking forward to that!

Ah well, keep on tinkering...

I do know that all the electrical stuff on this car has been subjected to quite a deal of corrosion...

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Peter  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion on clogged FIs. I cleaned my 931 FIs by doing the following:
(1) Get a 2 foot section of 5/16 or 1/2 ID rubber hose (forget exact size)
(2) Twisted threaded FI side into rubber hose and secure tightly with hose clamp.
(3) Fill hose from open side with benzene, FI cleaner, or whatever is available.
(4)* Twist male "quick disconnect" onto open end and secure tightly with hose clamp.
(5)* Attach male quick disconnect to female quick disconnect on air compressor.
(6) Slip injector exit side into clear jar and turn the compressor to full blast.
The pressure will blow out all the crud and a beautiful spray pattern should result.
* Quick disconnects are used on air compressors to allow quick coupling and removal of airlines or tools to the compressor. Check the local Sears or other pneumatic supply store.
-Peter
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea, should be quite easy to rig up... I will have to treat all my injectors!!!

Since I just bought a gallon of acetone for cleaning purposes, I guess I'll be trying that. I have a feeling it's perhaps a little less toxic than Xylene?

I have a feeling that similar efforts might provide good results when cleaning other such FI parts as pumps and distributors...

I've also received word from a friend and longtime P-car nut that he's got a whole document written up about cleaning fuel distributors... look forward to receiving and posting it... be assured I will happily share it with all of you!

'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, I tried it this PM and made good progress; confirmed that 2 injectors are good, and two are severely clogged. I'm soaking them in acetone, see what happens. If that doesn't work I may consider picking up some xylene, try that. Amazing, they're plugged into a hose full of acetone at 80psi and won't more than trickle it out. Talk about clogged!!! Anyway. I just hope I don't have to tear that distributor apart... might signal the car going over to a Motec sooner than intended!!!

'82 931 Plat. Silver
D Hook  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan: Careful with that stuff! For others who may try this (I'm sure you two are already aware of this) wear some barrier gloves when handling the acetone or xylene. This stuff absorbs right through the skin almost instantly. And at least a dust mask (respirator would be better) to keep those atomized particles from being inhaled. And of course, the usual no smoking, no open flames, etc applies, too.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second that. I'd work with the xylene over acetone any day...YMMV... and I wouldn't be taking deep breaths with either one.

http://www.toxicology.mc.vanderbilt.edu/Outreach/Poison/ACETONE.html
http://www.inchem.org/documents/icsc/icsc/eics0611.htm

You probably have thought of this, but it doesn't hurt to say...
Contact with skin: Redness. Pain. Inhalation: Convulsions. Cough. Dizziness. Headache. Laboured breathing. Nausea. Shortness of breath. Unconsciousness. Vomiting. Irregular heartbeat, tightness in the chest.

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2002-09-19 00:51 ]
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughn,

I have the bosch test stand for CIS injectors, if you want I can be a really nice guy and send you a set of injectors you take the best two and send back the rest including yours and I can later bench them and see if they can be cleaned/saved. This is only a webmeister deal for your dedication to the site.

I'm trying to amass a bunch of injectors as the cost of cleaning just two is a little costly when I could do an entire run of them.

Ands that brings up an idea, if any of you guys have injectors either you don't want, or want tested and cleaned. You can send them to me (if your in no hurry)and when I get enough, I take a day and clean and test them. You pay the shipping to and from and I'll tack on a little cost for the cleaning fluids. Of course the cost will be spread out amongst all the users per injector. I'm not out to make a living just pay for the costs so it ain't out my pocket.

And for the donated injectors what we can do is charge a small fee per injector when one is needed by a 924.org site member. This of course will be a reconditioned injector and core trade in would be nice. I'm sure that some of them will be unuseable.

We use the money to fund buying some hats or shirts and get the ball rolling on some of that stuff.

Anybody know how to set up a true non-profit status for a bank account, etc.?

Just an idea.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeze, and I thought I was getting DT's!

I'm fairly sure the two others are non-salvageable; if nothing else, I'll stick em in the mail down to you, Bob, see if you can bring em back to life. They will hold 80 psi. I'm gonna order some new ones.

I know jack about running a non-profit club or such, and have little desire to learn! That's why I like the idea of doing something through cafepress.com - I just haven't gotten any artwork yet to do it - not complete artwork. I also have 3 more weekends in the space of 1 month to go in the race season, plus another toy to play with, so haven't looked at that any more than I've been working on remodeling 924.org.

'82 931 Plat. Silver
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only 80 PSI WTF you are supposed to try and put at least 120PSI then watch the rubber hose explode
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had a better thought have the one end full of whatever you want (flammible or not) then get a butane torch or another high heat flame and try to heat them up to expand them, or dip them in liquid nitrogen then tap them LOL, or leave them in a glass of coke cola for 2 days
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: