Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

300zx engine in my 924

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonnyWright  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: 300zx engine in my 924 Reply with quote

well things have been going slow for me and the car lately cuz of work and money but i'm finally starting to get back on track.

pulled the old motor yesterday, lined the inside of the engine bay with truck bed liner from a spray can.

today i test fit the motor to see where it would lay in the engine bay and i was really impressed. the motor is not going to interfere with my steering rack at all even with the exhaust headers, the intake header is going to sit perfect on top of the engine, low enough that i won't need any kind of hood scoop. the brake booster is of course in the way but not by much, ill swap with a slimmer booster.

the next step is to trop the transmission from the porsche with that long drive shaft. the entire rear end is going to have to be changed out. zx transmissions mount directly to the motor unlike the 924. i think i will use a zx rear end, but if anyone has some suggestions i am all ears. i honestly have not looked into that part 2 much.

im very happy with my motor choice so far, the motor in the pictures was 100 dollars and is not going in the car, its just to experiment lol.
any feed back would be great and appreciated as this is my first project car.
JonnyWright  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: pics Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body will require less hacking if you stay with the stock driveline configuration. . .I would obtain a torque tube and trans from a 944 Turbo and see what you can do about adapting the Z bellhousing to the Porsche torque tube.
JonnyWright  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... that is what i originally wanted to do. makes a lot more since. your probably right i'll look into it some more. i can get the 944 transmission but the drive shaft will be the hard part. is it really a bolt in conversion? i have looked before but have not found much information on the swap

i will get a hold of a bell housing for the z and see if i can get something made.

update, got off the phone with a welder who sais he will make the custom mounts for around 300$. thats less than what i budgeted so thats good news.
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 300zx engine in my 924 Reply with quote

JonnyWright wrote:
the brake booster is of course in the way but not by much, ill swap with a slimmer booster.

I'm having a hard time understanding that, "not by much" hope your right! because in the pics,It don't look even close to fitting.I'll be amazed if the intake manifold clears the master cylinder without a power booster.hope I'm wrong!

Inspector: These brakes look completely inadequate.
Burt Munro: Well, I'm planning on going, not stopping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: