Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

79 924 to 87 924s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbozetec  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: 79 924 to 87 924s Reply with quote

I know this probally has been posted before I tryed to search for it but could find what im looking for. I have a 79 924 and Im buying a recked 87 924s how hard will it be to switch out everything into my 79. Im wanting to change the suspension to the 5 lug and swap motors and transaxels. Will the 87 924s engine bolt right in or with little modifications. Has anybody done this before?
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping someone else would answer this,but I'll try to help and also save you from being reamed by the search gestapo.

Anything is possiable,you can swap a Merlin V12 aircraft engine into a 55 chevy sedan,(it's a fact)

As for bolting a engine into the 924,I doubt you will bolt a 2.5L,3.0L or anything other than the 2.0L audi into a early 924.However I did see some pics on this board,of someone doing that swap.I think that thread was in the genral discussion or maybe the performance section of this board.Someone else may be able to help you locate that thread.

It's only my opinion,but I'm sure you could buy a pretty nice 944 for what you would invest in a engine swap.

Inspector: These brakes look completely inadequate.
Burt Munro: Well, I'm planning on going, not stopping.
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of that could be different is the engine bay slightly - I forget exactly what the difference is, but from memory, I believe the mount locations are slightly different. I could be way off - but for the most part, 99% of the swap will be quick and easy.

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
v8carreragts  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suspension will bolt in

The engine will need holes drilled into the 79 crossmember for the late motor mount studs.

The hydraulid clutch parts will bolt in from the late car. The 79 should have the dimple in the left wheelwell for the clutch master cylinder and the pedal return spring mount should also be there. You will need the clip with the studs from the late car. This is what the clutch master cylinder nuts attach to. (79 was the first year for the 924 turbo which used the same clutch mech)

I believe the late 924's used the same transaxle mounting so this should bolt in as well.

The ECM can be mounted under the steering column just as in the late car by using tha late brackets. You will need to cut a hole in the firewall for the engine harness.

You will need to mount the ign. coil to the right fenderwell. You could probably drill out the spot welds on the late bracket and bolt or pop rivit it to the early car.

You will need to modify the fuel line ends to attach to the late fuel system.

The only thing you will need to do soome modification to is the radiator mount because the late radiator is larger than the early one.

I think that just about covers it. I did this to the 79 I used to have.
turbozetec  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just got a good deal on a 87 924s that was hit in the front end and Ill be transplanting the drive train and suspension into my 79. It will be nice to have a 2.5 efi motor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: