Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Audi 200 2.1 Turbo (KG) engine swap into Porsche 924 2.0 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gti69  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Audi 200 2.1 Turbo (KG) engine swap into Porsche 924 2.0 ? Reply with quote

Hi,

My engine in Porsche 924 (1981) has failed. Something strange happend - timing belt snapped, I have put new one on but I cant do the full crankshaft trun as something is blocking it... damaged valve? I have no idea.

Anyway to the point. My friend has an old Audi 200 Turbo (1984) with 2.1 Turbo Engine (code KG with Turbo code k26). It produces 182 BHP.

Question - will it directly replace the old 2.0 924 engine or will there be a lot of modifications required? I will not do the job by myself thats why I am asking if it is possible so I can stick it in the workshop and let guys do it.

Will it be basically plug and play or will some modifications be required?

I have seen that there is a lot of topics regarding VW/AUDI swaps into the Porsche 924 but in some of them it is said it is pretty much straight forward but in some it states that it is clearly not.

Any info on this would be much apprecieated.

Cheers,
Tom
VW SCIROCCO MK1 '78 - ??? BHP - LHD
PORSCHE 924 '81 - 125 BHP - LHD

RIP VW SCIROCCO Scala '91
Pieter  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, that is the 10v motor with the intake and exhaust on the same side? That makes it quite difficult to fix.

Quote:
Will it be basically plug and play or will some modifications be required?

Not at all a plug and play. Clutch config will need to be sorted out by you with a bunch of components from different cars to make it work, custom engine mounts, custom intake and exhaust manifolds and the list goes on like that...
gegge  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot easier to fix the 924 engine and turbocharge it. And if the workshop is gong to do it, a lot cheaper as well.

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 924 motor, make sure the valves are all opening and closing properly and then follow the factory recomendations for installing the timing belt.

Pulling and fixing the head isn't too bad if that is the case when compared with adapting another engine.

As to the engine adaptation, the crossflow 20-valve motors are a better fit since the 10-valve motors have intakes that foul on the strut tower.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: