Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Suspension upgrade...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porschephile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to upgrade my suspension shortly. I just got the Koni's in the mail, the new wheels and tyres are on the car already, I got a 968 M030 rear sway bar to replace the empty void that is currently there, and new bushings all around, with a new 23 mm front sway bar. I am very excited to do this project, and to see how it handles after I'm done. It'll also be lowered about 1.5". tell me thoughts...
Porschephile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all suck. thanks for the insight... I also put in some nice nice steel brake lines...it stops quickly...aight.bubye.

P.S. just joking with the "you all suck" quote...
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy it! It should be very nice. That's what I'm running for swaybars on the racecar.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
afenn  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed MO30 on my 924s with the weltmiester springs and the 944 turbo ft and rear sway bars. The car handles like it's on rails with no roll. You'll like yours!!
ToddG5150  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phile: Can you post pictures after the upgrade? I'd be especially interested to see what it looks like lowered 1.5".
Jason-87924S  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the M030 bars on mine too and I think that you might want to upgrade the front bar as well. You will have mass understeer with that small of a front bar. 26.8 or 30mm will be a much better bet, especially with the Koni's.

GL...
Mich924S  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did all our 924S cars come with no rear sway bar? Do you have to change the struts also when you upgrade to Koni's? What else needs replacing when upgrading the shocks and do HR coil-overs help?
Jason-87924S  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an option for a 14mm bar.

Jason
GP510  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason is correct it was an option. I was suprised to see that mine has the 14mm bar. Thinking about the turbo swaybars as an upgrade. Not sure if I want to loose the "compliance" of the suspension in the rain.

Bart
'87 924S

[ This Message was edited by: GP510 on 2002-08-03 02:47 ]
Porschephile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally finished. took two weeks, and went through 2 pairs of Koni inserts. the adjustment tab is sticky and doesn't like to turn. the new ones don't wanna turn much either. If anyone knows what is goin on with this, I'd like to know. but the car is about 1" lower, and it looks good with a nice German stance. It does handle like it's on rails. I used the rear 19mm sway from a 968 M030. It has 3 adjustment settings for tight, tighter, and HOLY SH*t!!!. we just have it on tight. but it is nice. for anyone who is able to change out shocks, it is much worth it. we also put in 968 shock towers. they are tighter than those of the 924S. I really recommend this upgrade.
Mich924S  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Koni's did you get? Do you have a part number for the M030 rear sway bar?
Porschephile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, I do have the part # for the sway, I'll post it later. the Konis are the inserts for the origional struts. it's really easy to do. it is just stinky.

<AND NOW FOR THE BAD NEWS.>
Today, I was enjoying my suspension upgrade...a little bit too much. I lost control around a corner at about 60 MPH (just so I'm not looked upon as a COMPLETE retard, it wasn't near a 90 degree turn. it was a sweeper.) I lost control, and hit a curb. went over the curb, and about 100 feet into the field next to the road. I bent or broke 3 of my 4 new phone dials, and I bent both of my A-arms. that is all of the damage I can see right now. I'll have some of the techs look at it at work. but I gotta put in the new A-arms before I can drive it again. so...anyone know where I can get some cheap A-arms OVERNIGHTED to Colorado?

<THE MORAL>
I am a perfect example of the saying "Save it for the track!" I was stupid in driving that fast, and not being completely used to my new handling.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get used to the new suspension before hand but I don't see what your problem is I have a 924 and can take a 90 deg corner at 90kmp about 55mph, I am running 225/60R14 and have swaybars front and back with koni in the back but not sure about springs or shocks in front
Porschephile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya. I think I hit something wet. the tires didn't grip like they should have. oops. but it's all better. the only damage was 2 bent control arms and 1 chipped wheel with 2 more bent.luckily I had a spare set with tires.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well yo are lucky on thefact that you have new rims but your a arms that is going to be expensive if you dont have a parts car
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: