Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

944 Turbo engine in 924?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belgian924t  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

what is the use of 500 or more horsepower in a 924 or 944. the car also has to handle all that power... Not only in accelerating, but also in braking... Next to it, the suspension needs special mods. So at the end, I think it is more interesting to buy a real 951 or build a V-8 in your 924, with suspension mods.
Here in europe we have seen a lot of "tuners" with cars with a lot of horsepower, but when the first corner appears, a small hatchback like a Golf GTI mark 2 will be on his tail.
With all respect, but American muscle cars have one problem: the handling...
The 924 and it's sistercars were designed to drive, and driving is going around corners as fast as possible.

Greetz...
'85 911 Carrera 3,2 (to be restored)
'80 911 SC "SOLD"
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2224272
Faith  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: It is possible... Reply with quote

Here in Germany are 4 modified 924 S with 944 Turbo engine. And they are really fast because of their small body and their lower weight.

But you have to use an 924 S for the modification because the 924 S and the 944 Turbo have a lot of similarities about the axles, the engine mounts, the gearbox mounts etc...

Also here in Germany are some 924 S with the engine of the 944 S2. And they are absolutely amazing to drive. Especially when you use the standard gearbox of the 924 S
NBRettie18  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, im going to be putting a 951 motor into my 924S because the engine is just sitting at the shop im an apprentice at, and my boss is all for letting me rebuild the motor and putting it in because i will learn a lot from doing it. so i have the motor, harness, everything i need. does anyone know what the best way to set up the cooling system is, should i try and mount the intercooler in the same spot as it is for a 944 turbo or should i just mount it somewhere else? and what do you think about the transmission, should i just rebuild the 944 tranny thats in it(i would rebuild it anyways) or should i mount a 944 turbo tranny.

it wont be happening for a while but when it does i will be taking lots of pictures and hopefully my dad, who is an automotive journalist and photographer, will be able to get a story on it in european car or euro tuner, whoever might want to run the story.

thanks,
Nick
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belgian924t wrote:
Hello,

what is the use of 500 or more horsepower in a 924 or 944. the car also has to handle all that power... Not only in accelerating, but also in braking... Next to it, the suspension needs special mods. So at the end, I think it is more interesting to buy a real 951 or build a V-8 in your 924, with suspension mods.
Here in europe we have seen a lot of "tuners" with cars with a lot of horsepower, but when the first corner appears, a small hatchback like a Golf GTI mark 2 will be on his tail.
With all respect, but American muscle cars have one problem: the handling...
The 924 and it's sistercars were designed to drive, and driving is going around corners as fast as possible.

Greetz...

My LS1 powered 924 handles like a dream! The guys at Hitech Motorsport in Elk River, MN did an amazing job with handling as well as the launch!

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
Jay_Crims0n  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khal wrote:
Joes924Racer wrote:
then youd have like a 500 H.P. 924..that would be way cool.

500hp from a chip and an intercooler?! I don't think so Joes924racer

500hp is what the new BMW M5 makes from a 5-odd-litre, super high-tech V10

Not many cars in the world that can pump out 500hp. You might be able get 500hp from a 944 Turbo. But it wouldn't be pretty. And it'd be real expensive! Bit more than a chip and intercooler, I'm guessing...

I dont Mean to thread jack. But The Ford RS200 Evo was a Fourbanger that put out 600HP Factory...So Why do you need a V-10??????

Me
2 1991 Impules RS
1 1990 Impulse XS
2004 WRX
Caddy STS
Dodge Stealth
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay_Crims0n wrote:
Khal wrote:
Joes924Racer wrote:
then youd have like a 500 H.P. 924..that would be way cool.

500hp from a chip and an intercooler?! I don't think so Joes924racer

500hp is what the new BMW M5 makes from a 5-odd-litre, super high-tech V10

Not many cars in the world that can pump out 500hp. You might be able get 500hp from a 944 Turbo. But it wouldn't be pretty. And it'd be real expensive! Bit more than a chip and intercooler, I'm guessing...

I dont Mean to thread jack. But The Ford RS200 Evo was a Fourbanger that put out 600HP Factory...So Why do you need a V-10??????

It's cheaper to maintain an engine that was produced in mass rather then one off (or less common) engines.

That's one of the reasons for my LS1 choice.

The 944 engine is a good choice, but to make 500 hp, much more expensive and not the instant torque when compared to many v8's of today. I would much rather pick the 944 engine (proven) rather then the RS200 (not a common engine).

Just my thoughts...

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
Jay_Crims0n  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just Jumping in on the last person's view that motors don't put down power.

you are right too..the Rs200 engine is not common and would not be good for a swap (anyone who would destroy that car for the engine needs help anyways)

But if you build it right you can make reliable power out of small egines.
I am not sure why a 924s needs 500hp but to each there own.

Me
2 1991 Impules RS
1 1990 Impulse XS
2004 WRX
Caddy STS
Dodge Stealth
TurboBullet  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im selling a good conditon 944 turbo engine, prefer local pickup Im in southern NJ I also have a set of crower billet rods and can get wiseco pistons for the engine as I am a wiseco dealer if a person wants to build the engine up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: