Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Serious mechancial problems.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red82_931  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty!!!!!!!!

Where to begin...
I have moved and have yet to relocate my car from a friends backyard. I puchased it with the intentions of building up a descent weekend fun car (including AutoX).

The car has many mechanical problems:
#1: IMPORTANT: The car fills with noxuous fumes, presumably gas fums. I've looked on the tech page here and have found numerous possibilites.
#2: Drivers side door will not open or lock.
#3: Passenger side electric window switch does not work.
#4: A/C is shot.
#5: minimal right front damage to light cover.

Good points:
#1: The has a new turbo, clutch, driver side fan motor, and oil hoses.

My dilemma is; get the car repaired (which I would have to pay a mechanic to do) and drive it up, tow it up, or just sell the damn thing and take a loss.

Any and all advice is greatly welcome.
dwak  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You either need room, tools, parts cars and coveralls or...a big wallet.
I'd say sell to Zuffen and buy one of his 'built' ones.
larso  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound like pretty minor problems if they are as you explain.

-Gas stink comes from bad gas, and if it's black smoke and smells sour like a snowblower, and burns your eyes, then that is your problem.

-Light covers are cheap on ebay, or if you need one I have a spare.

-door wont open, from the inside too, or just the outside? Lot's of possibilities, broken door handle linkage, incorrect latch fitted, etc.

-A/C I'm not really sure about since I never use mine in the temperatures I live in, but how is it shot.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas fumes inside the car are commonly caused by a leaky filler-to-tank hose. Until you get it checked out, you can avoid the fumes by limiting refuelings - don't have it filled up to the top. (If this is the problem, the smell is there worst after a fill-up and gradually goes away as the fuel level drops.)
numbers  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Well are your noxuous fumes gas, or exhaust. The gas fumes are caused by a leaky filler overflow tube. Just pull up your rear carpet, and you will see it. Exhaust fumes are caused by an old hatch seal. The negative pressure caused by the spoiler causes the exhaust to be sucked right into the cockpit. The seal is easy to replace, it just presses into place.

2. There is a plastic connector on the door linkage that always breaks. A better replacement than the factory item is usually available on Ebay pretty cheap.

3. The electric window switches just need the contacts cleaned. Just lever out the switch (it just snaps into place) and then lever off the rocker cover and you will see the contacts. Be sure to put the contact strips back in the same orientation. You can clean the contacts and have the switch back in in five minutes.

4. My AC was not working when I bought my 931. It turned out that the return hose was broken off where it enters the bottom of the evaporator, from the PO running over a parking curb. I had a new connector installed on the hose, and vacuumed the system down using engine vacuum from another vehicle. I installed a new oil charge, and two pounds of R-12 and it still works fine 15 years later. You will need to jumper 12 volts to the fan clutch to get the clutch engaged for the intial charge, as there is a built in protection circuit so that a discharged compressor cannot be run, because the lack of oil would ruin the compressor.

5. Repair or replace.

If it were me, I would have that car up and running in about six hours.
larso  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the gas fumes. Is it a "wet" gas smell, like in a gas station, or is it a burnt gas smell?
Silverarrow  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my project from bobby with many of the same symptoms you named. I cleaned the power window switches, recharged the AC with a cheap r134A kit from Kmart. Blows cold air now. I had to run down some ground problems to get the dash guages to work properly. Replaced a couple of fuses and relays. Door handles can be fixed. There are cheap plastic fittings on the linkage that can be replaced for a meer $3.00. That's even from the dealer. Fuel smell is still a problem. There is a canister behind the driver side front wheel in the wheel well. Sometimes that needs to be replaced or lines are deteriorated. Easy to fix some of those problems. If you're not the mechanical bent then it will cost a lot to fix it up. My project took a month of weekends. It did'nt even run when I got it. A lot of you guys miss the fun of fixing up a car by having someone else do it all. All I got to say is it's you wallet.

[ This Message was edited by: Silverarrow on 2002-08-17 13:48 ]
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey lets be fair it ran just not under it's own juice.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: