Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

oil pressure sending unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have a working oil pressure sending unit for a 1977na? i think my killed over on me. when the car is running its always past the 10th bar.
TroyDest  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, get a new one from VDO. It is a very common unit and probably not expensive (unless you get it from the dealer or Performance Products). You can grab one off a VW/audi/BMW also if you go to a wrecking yard.
gohim  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't just grab any oil pressure sender off any car. There are different senders calibrated for different gauges.

The correct duel sender only costs around $50-$75, depending on where you get it. I have a spare somewhere in my parts stash (*I think). You can ahve it for $25, plus shipping if I can find it. I think it's brand new. I bought a spare because when I got my 81 924, the gauge was sticking, and I thought it was the sender (it was), but it started working correctly after I changed the oil, and started making regular scheduled oil changes. I suspect that the sender was malfunctioning because the previous owner did not change the oil on a regular basis, and some gunk was in the sender, which was washed out by the detergents in the fresh oil.
TroyDest  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh...there are numbers on the senders. If the part number or at least the specs are the same, you can grab one off any car. The P/N is 047 919 561. The specs are: 0-10 bar, 0.75 +/- 0.15 bar (warning contact), and 10mm-1.0 thread. It is a double sender with two posts.

A new VDO universal sender 360 023 has the specs: 0-150psi (10 bar), 7 psi (.5 bar) warning contact, and 10 mm thread. I bet it's cheaper than the dealer and the $85 Perf Products unit.

What I'm not sure about is the idiot light sender. Both of my 931's use the warning contact on the same sender for the idiot light. Both the Perf Products and the Porsche Parts & Tech Ref Catalogs show a separate sender for the idiot light. I don't think my 931's have a separate sender and send two signals to the idiot light. The earlier cars may be different. If there is a separate idiot light sender, where is it? -Troy

[ This Message was edited by: TroyDest on 2002-07-31 06:28 ]
Diesel  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a seperate switch, it's the same one.
larso  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't ever pay $50-70 for a piddly little sender...not my kind of budget for an old car that doesn't really need a new pressure sender. Try a couple of used ones, or learn to live without one. Lots of cars don't have oil pressure in them. Infact for $70 you could probably buy a REAL oil pressure tester instead, and just check your oil pressure occastionally during tune ups.

Try a generic one from a parts store, or just run without the oil pressure sensor and use the warning light style (they cost I think 15 bucks)

If it's pegged like that you may have the wires hooked up backwards, OR loose connections. If one connection is loose, or has come off, or wire is broken, gauge will peg. When a connection is completely off, the gauge pegs, it does not turn off like one would think...
Even if the connections are tight, they can be rusty or dirty. I had my connections tight, and still had a pegged gauge. What I did was buy a nice wire brush (one of those ones that's flexible, a pipe cleaner style), and wiggled my way down there with the wire connections off. Clean the studs up with the wiggly wire brush. Solved my problem...but I will probably rip out the oil pressure sender sometime soon and replace it with the cheap idiot light one, and buy a real oil pressure sensor to test for oil pressure during tune ups. It's nice to see your oil pressure while driving, but in the 924's case, it can actually cause you more stress to have a stupid incorrect gauge flopping around, and sscaring you thinking your engine is going to blow up, when it's simply a poorly designed porsche part.

By the time you pay $70 for a sender (that doesn't even work right), $30 for this, $200 for some hatch shocks, $80 for a hatch seal...you might as well buy another 924 for 500 bucks... and use it for parts.
larso  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy, the idiot sender is in the oil pressure sensor that controls the gauge. One stud is for the idiot light, and the other is for the gauge. In fact if you hook the wires up backwards, your idiot light will dim up and down with oil pressure I tried it by accident.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: