Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

GTS-type intercooler plumbing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, looks like I'm getting pretty close to being able to get my hands on the next turbo, to receive a 951 IC (sitting on shelf waiting for its car) in the nose ala the GTS. Can those of you who've done it advise what you've done with the intake tract plumbing? Specifically, sources for parts to tie it all together? I'm wondering if I should have pieces of straight pipe (like the stuff Huntley Racing sells for the 951) made up - could be prototyped with PVC tubing from my favorite local speed shop, Tony Stewart's sponsor, Home Depot - to plumb it all...

Is it a pain to redirect the intake from the turbo over to the IC? Is there room, or do you have to reloc. the fuel distributor?

I know the headlights must be converted to fixed to remove the pivot bar, and I guess maybe the radiator needs to drop a bit - anything else substantial that needs to be moved?

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
aussie931  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the distributor needs to be relocated - can either lower it on a new bracket or turn through 180 degrees (remove that water bottle) and install a pod type filter - can heat shield this.

If you fit 944 front end panels you should not need to lower the radiator as the intercooler in/outlets come over top as per the 944.

Yes - non pop up headlights will give more room however Ive seen a car in UK that retained them and had a 944 intercooler installed (again they used late 944 front end panels to fit). The guy didnt relacate the fuel dist just squashed the pipe flat to fit round - see http://www.club924.com under tuning.

Im (well not me personally I have to pay someone) currently doing all this so will update you with what else develops.

FYI - On the intake side I will modify the manifold - cut off existing plenum and replace with a larger one with throttle on other side or towards front of car - will limit plumbing required and hopefully any increase in lag!!

Anyone in Aust or NZ that has a turbo manifold lying around let me know - probably a bit steep to get from US or UK.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks for the info. I'm surprised but glad to hear that the rad doesn't need to be dropped.

Sounds like you're going towards the GTR design of intake manifold... Have you thought about just fabricating from scratch? Maybe it's something I should think about for future use... the GTR was just 4 barrels going to a single log-type plenum as you describe, TB at front straight from the IC. You can kind of see it plumbed in the car in one of the pics on this page:
http://www.theracesite.com/zoompics/1985d.htm#85d

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: