Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

3800 V6 Swap: Craze or Car Heaven?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: 3800 V6 Swap: Craze or Car Heaven? Reply with quote

Look at this thing:

http://www.kitcarusa.com/articles/imagePage.php?imagesrc=800px-Regal_l67.jpg&imagealt=A%203800%20Series%20II%20L67%20Supercharged%20engine%20in%20a%201998%20Buick%20Regal%20GS.&credit_to=&credit_to_www=

Now, in our car, it's mounted with the serpentine belt to the front, I would assume. I think that's the beast that can be transplanted? What do you think?

I've searched and found other threads but no one has actually done this and lived, correct? I saw one website with a 924 but was scant on facts.

Any guesses on cost?

Same as a V8? Less fab work than a V8? Generally easier?

I started up my car this week and didn't like the oil smoke. I'm thinking it's time to rebuild the 4 cylinder.

Or this one?

http://www.kitcarusa.com/articles/imagePage.php?imagesrc=95RivEngine.jpg&imagealt=A%20supercharged%203800%20installed%20in%20a%20Buick%20Riviera%20for%201995,%20the%20last%20year%20of%20Series%20I%20L67%20production.%20Power%20is%20225%C2%A0hp%20(168%C2%A0kW)%20for%20this%20version.&credit_to=&credit_to_www=

Gasp!
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Maybe it's just BS.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the 3800's are related to the venerable small block chevy, so the swap would be fairly similar.

However, I'd be concerned with hood clearance and with the added weight of the supercharger and accessories, you wouldn't be far behind a Chevy LS2 small block that puts out more power.
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recommended Reading List
On 20 June 2005, ideola wrote:
Bob had his GN conversion on the dyno at Tweeks and was getting about 235HP and about 450ft/lb of torque as I recall, but he was having trouble producing anything beyond 16 PSI of boost, which is low for his setup.

tuurbo  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks Ideola - the second one is a good article - how do you find these? lol

The first one I checked out yesterday and it's long on hp but they don't say much what was modified or show pics. I'm going to try to contact the second article person, Bob Ward and see what I can find out.

I can sub out motor mount fabrication or even alter a cross member, but the steering? I doubt it. Maybe once I talk with this guy things can get clearer. But if it's a one off I could just as easily lose my shirt attempting it without the technical and tools background - subcontractors can do the work but most will want to be paid.

Last edited by tuurbo on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuurbo wrote:
Ok thanks Ideola - the second one is a good article - how do you find these? lol

Good memory I met Bob back in 2005 at the Tweeks Fun Fest in Effingham IL, where I also met the Omaha Crew. Seeing a car like that in person makes it sorta hard to forget
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it looks like a monster.

I think with either the turbo or the supercharged version of this style/type of engine (about 3800 V6) engines, you'll have to pop a hole in the hood or make a 'cowl induction' or other monstrosity to cover up the bulge. But, who knows, I'd be doing it for the reliability of the engine and the availability of parts. And right now it's just a pipe dream until I nail down some questions.

The headlights were pretty interesting - the fact that he had two circular ones mounted nicely. I didn't care for the 'eyelid' look but I liked the powerful dual rounded lights.
StienbargerR  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuurbo,

I dont mean to rain on your parade, but if you are doing an engine swap, it is probably best to use a V8. When I had my V6 conversion car, I did a lot of research on it, and many people have ruined their transmissions using V6's. It has something to do with the vibrations that GM V6's cause. If you look at what cars have the V6's, you will notice that most of them are connected to Auto transmissions, which are supposed to deal with this vibration alot better.

Ryan
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like automatics. If I did a swap, I'd probably put in an automatic.

I haven't seen a successful V8 hooked up to our gearbox, with instructions and pictures anyone can follow, but I'd do it if I thought it'd work.
mcadam1121  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea do the v8 swap
i did a bunch of research on the 3800 swap and it wouldnt be that hard but a v8 would be easier

basically use parts from a camaro to do the swap
and then use a clucth from an 88 vanagon to mount to the torque tube if you got the 4spd
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuurbo wrote:

The 3800 V6 will bolt to my trans without any other modifications,other than a different flywheel for the engine.

To be more clear,I'm talking about the GM 3800 & 3800sc-series I,II,&III.and not to be confused with the 3.8,that has the B.O.P. bolt patteren.

Inspector: These brakes look completely inadequate.
Burt Munro: Well, I'm planning on going, not stopping.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuurbo wrote:

I haven't seen a successful V8 hooked up to our gearbox, with instructions and pictures anyone can follow, but I'd do it if I thought it'd work.

Have you looked at http://www.porsche-hybrids.com ?? There is a ton of ways to skin that cat, lots of helpful people and many that post pictures.

Understand that any engine swap like this is not going to be "easy" If you're not comfortable doing the work yourself, find someone who is adept at welding and fabrication that is willing to not just slap a Chevy small block and turbo-action 350 transmission in the car and call it good. Look for a hotrod style shop that works on kitcars as well as hotrods. Check out their work and look for true oddball projects, those are the folks you want to work on your car.

If you select the proper parts (which are well detailed in a number of builds on that board) you can retain the 924 turbo/944 transaxle and torque tube solution. Plus if you post on the hybrids board you may find someone with a v8 swapped 944/924 that might be local and willing to lend a hand or at least let you oggle their ride a bit!
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad, what up with your Caddi project?
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Chad, what up with your Caddi project?

Where do I start?
There has been some activity and many drastic changes in the overall plan,but I haven't taken any pics yet,because My vintage "1999" camera has flaked out.Although I'll get that taken care of very soon,I'm thinking about getting a camera that will also make nice videos.

My engine mounting system has underwent a major transformation,Including the Addition of rubber engine mounts,and more modification of the x-member,with the elimination of the bolts passing through it,making the lower portion of the mount,part of the X-member,With the Addition of many gussets and lots of nice tig welds,I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

I decided my oil pan was just plain silly,so the oil pan,pump,pick-up and pump driveshaft,have gone to the scrap bin.With outside help ,I have designed and constructed a proper dry sump oil pan,for a 3 stage dry sump oil system.I have collected many parts for this system,including the actual pump and a custom machined drive mandrel for the crankshaft,but like everything else, lots of things are missing and nowhere near completion.

Now for my carb system,It to has been eliminated from the plan.I'm now modifying the caddy PFI for use with this project.This became more practical after "tunercat" made software available for the "completely hacked" caddy ecm.

It's gonna take a little time,but i refuse to give up!

Inspector: These brakes look completely inadequate.
Burt Munro: Well, I'm planning on going, not stopping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: