Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Boost vs CFM- Turbo rebuild planning stage
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simsport  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard the main problem with the 924 turbo is the poor drain to sump of the oil.

A guy over here in the UK fitted an IHI turbo higher up in the engine bay which stopped the problem.

A firm called Central Audi/VW in Ellesmere Port , England offer a hybrid turbo for the 924 giving more boost and less lag.

Simon Cooper, the guy there used to work for me. He has developed several diesel turbos and knows a great deal about what does/doesn't work with a turbo.

Cheers
Simon

John H  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right one of the main causes of failure is the poor draining but Porsche have tried to remedy this by the retro fitting of the vent line to the cylinder head - this relieves some of the pressure in the drain line and seems to help with longitivity.
However if you look after the turbo by lettign it cool down this also helps. I run two oil coolers that also help keep the oil temperature at nice "warm" level which also helps the life of the turbo.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-25 10:06, John H wrote:
Cbass, I'm not trying to be rude but read the posts carefully - the big problem with a T3 or any other turbo other that the K26 designed for the Porsche 924 Turbo Is fitting it. There is limited room and if you go for a bigger turbo you have to massage the chassis rail with a big hammer to get ot to fit and you have to modify both the exhaust housing and the exhaust as it exits from the turbo.
A K26 that is well maintained will last a long time.

Yeah, but I don't know what condition the turbo is in, so a rebuild is the simple way of doing it. I've been reading about ball bearing turbos, and watercooling, and it's very enticing...

If the K26 is no good, I'll need a new one... The ball bearing T25 is supposed to be be fairly small and capable of supporting 175-300hp. It is much smaller than a T3, but much more expensive.
Dave951M  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cbass-

Still, I think I would stay with the K26 to eliminate a bunch of fabrication. These turbos can take a lot if properly cared for. Newer doesn't always mean better. The Garrets and other turbos may be "better" but you will have to put in a bunch of work to mount them, and then you don't benefit from all the work and testing the factory did on the original K26. You are your own test program.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it is a lot of trouble if you don't have to do it. I'm just keeping my options open if I have to buy a new turbo, the Garretts cost almost half as much...
John H  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you have to look at for the “after market” turbo’ chargers is the compressor and turbine wheel combination.

If you look at the Garret for example there is a whole multitude of combinations – you can have different compressor wheels on the same size turbine and then the same again different turbine wheel on the compressor.

By looking at the compressor maps you should be able to take a reasonable guess as what should work on the car. To get the best you will then need to run a series of full power then swap compressor and turbine wheels and housings. As the compressor maps for the K26 are not readily available you have to calculate what will work.

The cost of a rebuilt K26 is probably less than the messing around to fit a Garret or any other unit. A Garret wouldn’t last any longer than the K26 if it’s not maintained. The turbo charger what ever make is only as good as the care it’s given.

If you go for the aftermarket unit make sure what ever you make to fit is suitable to be used as a pattern - that way you can re cover some of your costs by selling a "kit" to retro fit another brand of turbo.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. Aside from the watercooling, my other reason for swapping would be to get an electronically controlled wastegate. I like the idea of using the APC boost controller, so I don't always have to use really high octane gas.

Then again, if I fitted an external wastegate, I could use the APC anyways.
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 924 turbo has an external, dual-port wastegate. You can use electronic control to your heart's content.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: