Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

S2000 engine in a 924

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xEcUtEr  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: S2000 engine in a 924 Reply with quote

Is it "do"able?

with transaxle and gearbox mods course...

but would it be "easy" to swap? and could i profit with it awsome power?

Regards
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more difficult than any other engine swap. The electronics would be tricky. Motor mounts, clutch, starter, flywheel. Throttle cable.

Of course the cost of the motor might be the tricky part.
Bumblebee77  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually had my eyes on an s2000 engine for a few years to drop into my longterm project car - 77 Celica. Pretty much identical set up, and the theory goes that they drop quite easily into most early Jap Front/Rear configuration cars.

Just the thought of a 9k redline Vtec under that hood.
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumblebee77 wrote:
I've actually had my eyes on an s2000 engine for a few years to drop into my longterm project car - 77 Celica. Pretty much identical set up, and the theory goes that they drop quite easily into most early Jap Front/Rear configuration cars.

Just the thought of a 9k redline Vtec under that hood.

Sorry for being off topic,but I just had to comment..

The first generation Celica GT,is one of my favorite cars.I tried to find one for my cadillac project,but as you know,they are somewhat rare over here.I found several that were in the condition and price range that I was interested,but most of them were in California,which would have added to much to the total cost,after getting it back to Missouri.

I'm glad to see someone else on this forum has interest in them. Also,is your project car veiwable on any web forums,as I would be interested in looking at what you have been doing.

Thanks...
Chad

Inspector: These brakes look completely inadequate.
Burt Munro: Well, I'm planning on going, not stopping.
Bumblebee77  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately what i've been doing is not a great deal at the moment. I'm still less than 6 months out from buying the 24 and have spent most of that time learning about it and spending money on it. Also... have been working on prepping the workspace which is at my father in law's place and he's still currently using it in finishing off his FJ40 Landcruiser rebuild. Once that's out of the shed we'll get my car in there and get started.

First job on the list is paint/rust. Then i'll work on stripping out the interior. Its in alright original condition but would probably cost more to repair properly than to replace. And since i'm not looking for a concours car i was thinking of kitting it out completely in more modern toyota interior maybe from a Supra, Chaser or later model Celica. Then the mechanicals... ugh... that'll be a job. In the meantime i was looking into a 1JZGTE engine convert. Common, i know but it should give ridiculous performance considering the size of the car its gotta pull. Eventually though the dream is still the s2000 powertrain.

I have some before pics i can post if you're interested.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the latest copy of Grassroots Motorsports. They have a 71 Celica with an S2K under the hood. Beautiful ride.
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumblebee77 wrote:

I have some before pics i can post if you're interested.

Sure I'm interested.

Maybe you could start a O/T thread in the "General Discussions" forum,and post the pictures there.

I woud'nt want the moderators to stroke-out (lol)

Thanks...Chad

chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumblebee77 wrote:
In the meantime i was looking into a 1JZGTE engine convert.

Sorry for being off topic again.

I realize you were talking about swapping this into your celica,but when you said "1JZGTE".I was thinking "WTF is a 1JZGTE" Then I remembered what I had seen,that was relavent to this forum,but had never seen it here or heard anyone here talk about it.

So after you stimulated my memory,I thought this was interesting and wondered why no one has ever said anything about this swap before.

I would have lost money,because I would have bet that an inline 6,would never fit in a 24 or 44

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: