Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Advise on 924 modified with 944 body

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2000 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: rameshm_007@yahoo.com
Date: 18 Feb 2000
Time: 00:20:24

Hi !!

There's a 924 on sale that I am eyeing...
It's been modified externally (body parts were changed) to look like the 944, and the engine is original 924. The modifications are said to have been done by the local Porsche agent.

I would like to find out whether there are any known or potential problems with such modifcations as I am realy keen to keep the car for some time.

Thanks !!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2000 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: webmeister@924.org
Time: 07:49:11

Can't think of any except the quality of the installation. It's a GT replica style I guess. You will be able to use wider tires more easily. But the standard engine does not have the power to push fat tires around so don't get carried away.

Cheers, John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: vscott39@hotmail.com
Time: 08:35:50

Yeah, agreed about the torque comment; stick with a standard 944 rim and tire setup, like the 15" cookie cutters or phonedials, or (if you can afford them) the Fuchs, since they're the lightest yet.

Vaughan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2000 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: rmaclaren@globalserve.net
Time: 11:25:58

Why would someone do that to a 924? Why not, hey, just GET a 944?

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2000 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: vscott39@hotmail.com
Time: 12:25:45

Heh heh... yeah, well, there is always that, they're so cheap...

V

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2000 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: rmaclaren@iprimus.ca
Time: 18:30:37

Why not just BUY my 1979 924...? It looks a helluva lot better than any old 944-fendered-thang anyway...and it is zippy...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2000 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Date: 21 Feb 2000
Time: 02:07:51

I guess I should have told u that I'm from Singapore.... the country where cars are among the most if not the most expensive.

A new Mercedes 200 would cost about S$230,000 (about US$135,000).

Our road tax structure is also progressive..so the bigger the capacity..the more u pay...

So in short..I'm getting a 944 lookalike cause its much cheaper than a genuine 944. Do have some pity on me.... I don't have the luxury and benefit of choice as u do... sob..sob...

Btw, someone warned me about additional stress on the bearings...as spacers have been put in the flush the wheels with the arch.. any merit to that..and should I do anything to aid the bearings in coping with that stress ?

Thanks for all the advise...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2000 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 02:24:26

I guess I should have told u that I'm from Singapore.... the country where cars are among the most if not the most expensive.

A new Mercedes 200 would cost about S$230,000 (about US$135,000).

Our road tax structure is also progressive..so the bigger the capacity..the more u pay...

So in short..I'm getting a 944 lookalike cause its much cheaper than a genuine 944. Do have some pity on me.... I don't have the luxury and benefit of choice as u do... sob..sob...

Btw, someone warned me about additional stress on the bearings...as spacers have been put in the flush the wheels with the arch.. any merit to that..and should I do anything to aid the bearings in coping with that stress ?

Thanks for all the advise...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2000 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email:
Time: 10:34:15

Does the 944 have a higher value than the 924? The 924 may be easier to work on but if parts for both the 924 and 944 are expensive due to your location then I would opt for the 944.

Here in the states you can find plenty of 924's for parts and new parts are not really all that expensive. The 944 is going the way of the 924, there are more and more cheap 944s poping up for sale.

So here the choice is style or ease of maintenance, the 944 I would say cost double what a 924 costs to operate.

When the 944 first hit the market doing a 924 to 944 conversion was a economical way of stepping up without the high cost of buying a new car. And a lot of cars where converted by owners and body shops. But that isn't the case anymore, conversions are for race cars or Gt replica builders. You can find a 944 cheaper than doing a nice conversion now adays

And fitting a 944 body to a 924 has some expensive points. You will have to paint the car after you work out the ill fitting panels (fiberglass) or if you go metal them you are goin to have weld on the rear fenders, since they don't make GT style bolt on arches.

Look into repair costs for both models and market values. I think you will find you have to make a choice of one or the other versus a hybrid car. If you still think a conversion will work than look into a 924T, that is one of the few cars that it is worth doing a body conversion on, it has more power than the early 944 and a greater performence potential. That is if you can find one.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2000 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: rmaclaren@iprimus.ca
Time: 11:58:21

Ramesh, I have empathy. However, why not just buy a very good 924 and enjoy its appearance? WIth a spoiler they look quite good.

And they are cheap.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2000 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Date: 22 Feb 2000
Time: 02:08:33

A 944 is more expensive in terms of purchase cost and road taxes.

AS we are a small country, there aren't many of them (924 and 944) on the road. For parts, I have to rely on the local Porsche agent or via on-line stores like Pelican, Automotion etc.

Sticking to the 924 cos I hope to economise and have trouble-free motoring.

The body kit (944 Turbo style) has already been fitted to the car and the paint work is truly well done. Will send u a pic or put up a web-site later, once I lay my hands on it.

Maybe I'll upgrade to a real 944 later once I am more familiar with cars and esp. Porsches

Thks for your advise....
ramesh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2000 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 02:18:52

Agree that the 924 looks good already even w/o any mod...
But I guess I just prefer the more masculine look that comes with a 944....
The good thing about the car I was eyeing (already placed my deposit) is that the body kit is already done...beautifully finished... so I don't need to do anything more...

Ramesh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2000 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 03:45:04

Agree that the 924 looks good already even w/o any mod...
But I guess I just prefer the more masculine look that comes with a 944....
The good thing about the car I was eyeing (already placed my deposit) is that the body kit is already done...beautifully finished... so I don't need to do anything more...

Ramesh

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: