Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Are 931's known to have poor oil filter threads?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that these cars seem to leak oil around the filter no matter how hard you finger tighten? It's happened twice now and it's pissing me off. What's the torque spec for these damned things?
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smear a bit of new oil on the rubber gasket first, then hand tighten, then either tighten it as much as I can muscle it with gloves on or give it and extra half turn with an oil filter wrench. I think the filter makers usually recommend to hand tighten, then give it 1/4 extra turn.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, all the guys say just 'hand tighten' and only you, Ralph and another guy I know have ever mentioned that extra 1/4 turn. I wonder if it's specked?

I made the mistake recently of going to a Jiffy Lube and, naturally, (and I deserved it), the kid's arm got all burned and he probably couldn't tighten the filter very much, given he was short and in a cave beneath my car. Needless to say, a few weeks later, I smelled oil burning, then I saw oil burning, and almost shat my pants. Turns out the filter was loose. Happened again after a tuning - this time it was a VW dealer service centre.
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think tight,is relative to your forearm
size. I feel as tight as you can get by hand is always best, too tight (with a wrench) and you will regret it later. I've had to punch a hole and use a screwdriver to remove the filter, way too many filters put on with a wrench. The wrench helps get it off when the heat seazes the filter.

Always lube the ring and spin on and hand torque the unit, basically as far as you can by hand.

2 924 ,77,80 all for parts
4 944 82,84,85,86 all for parts
1 sad 912 for parts
KIA list
82 931,77 924 racer.
Sold list
80 931,79 924

[ This Message was edited by: Zuffen on 2002-06-25 13:12 ]
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I use a strap style wrench on all the domestics in my household...

Is this a 924 specific thing, or should this apply to all cars? I've never had a leak from an oil filter yet...
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use a strap wrench to install and remove - filter gets too slippery, and I can't put enough torque on it. I used to have a Montero (Pajero for you friends down-under) which was really bad about leaking at the filter. Haven't had a problem removing any of my filters after install.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Peter  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same procedure as Smoothie. In addition to smearing oil on the oil filter rubber seal, I also fill up the filter with oil before I install it. Then I disconnect the wire from the coil to the distributor cap and crank the engine until oil pressure rises. Then I skip around on one foot reciting the Porsche mantra and then I ....
Does anyone else do this?

-Peter
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just do the mantra.

Whenever I've done it I've used a wrench that wraps around it, and tightens with my torque.

So how does the oil get to the exhaust after a leak like that? Does it fly around a lot under there?
numbers  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always tighten the filter by hand until the rubber just contacts the housing, then tighten one more full turn. On the Porsche, that last half turn usually requires a wrench.
larso  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's always better too tight than too/to lose/loose. (EDIT: Pun intended; to lose is to lose oil, lose your head...etc. LOL) You can always get a filter off later by piercing it with a screwdriver like Bobby said. I turned mine 1/4 of a turn, and that was a mistake. Found it loose later. Lucky I checked it a week later. I found that you have to turn it 1/2-3/4 after hand tight. Also about putting oil on the seal..maybe try a different type of grease. If you put oil on it, that will cause the oil maybe to adhere and suck out. If you put lard or something on it, it will not adhere to the oil as much. I don't know if lard is high enough temperature. But think of it like a cam cover gasket...once it gets soaked in oil, it just leaks. So maybe coat the filter with another type of thicker harder oil, like paraffin wax or something.

Also, make sure your filter is leaking. Cam covers, and oil line bolts, can confuse you.

[ This Message was edited by: larso on 2002-06-27 19:48 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: