Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924s Lower End Rebuild

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheaff  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first post, I hope I did everything right. Well, I am considering buying a 1987 924s with an engine in need of rebuilding in the lower end. My first question is easy, and I think I already know the anwser, are all the internal components of the 924s interchangable with the 944 components[pistons, rods, bearings, ect.]? I think the anwser is yes, but I'm not sure. Second, is there anything specific I should be looking for in this enginge to make sure it's not just a shiny piece of scrap? The guy says that the 3rd cyliner is leaking oil badly, and probably neeeds more than just new seals. Any help is appriciated.

Thanks,

Sheaff
gohim  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am building a replacement engine for my 87 924S right now. I bought the car is excellent condition, other than the ruined engine (hydrolock, broke rod, sent through the oil pan and the side of the block).

The 944/924S aluminum engine block cannot be serviced by conventional means. By this, I mean that you can take the block for machining at your local machine shop. A specialty shop who has the tools, and experience must do the work. The blocks look alike, must there were many running changes made during production and parts from one year engine, may not necessarily fit in another year engine.

The gaskets, and replacement parts for the 944/924S engine are very expensive. When you pull the engine (easiest way is to place the front of the engine on blocks, and drop it out the bottom), not a tough job.

But this is what you are looking at for parts in US Dollars. You must replace the clutch while you are in there, unless you can verify that it has been replaced in say, the last 30K miles (cost of parts, about $500, including the pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, shift fork bearings, and guide tube), block gasket set $100, head gasket set $100, piston ring set $50, rod bearing set $50, main bearing set $100, balance shaft bearings $20, belts, rollers, and pulleys $125, water pump $125-$200, and oil pump drive sleeve $55.

After you buy all of these parts, you still need to pay for the service work for the cylinder head, and whatever work may be needed on the block.

You will also need some special tools to properly tension the critical camshaft timing and balance shaft belts. The tools that you will need will cost at least $500.

There are plenty of decent running cars available for sale, unless the car that you are looking at is in especially nice condition, or you are emotionally attached to it for some reason, make sure that you don't pay more than $500-$1500 for it. Otherwise, by the time you finish the repairs, you will have $10000 in car that you could buy another one of in excellent condition for $5000.

Then it will take some time and dedication to complete this complex project, but who can put a price on personal satisfaction?
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree. Sure you can do it, but why? Unless you have a serious burning desire to rebuild an engine you've never (likely) seen before, buy one in good shape. You'll save the cost of the rebuild, not to mention you'll get to drive it right after you buy it, not 6-12 months later...

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
chrisoc  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you've heard the technical side you'll agree that unless they give you the car or pay you to remove it from their sight you will spend alot of money without the satisfying wheel time to bond with your new baby. You will save money by initially spending more.
The question you need to ask is "what do I want?" The 1988 model year has a bit more HP (10), it also has more amenities to make your time in the car more enjoyable. These nice things are great until they start to malfunction.
The next question is "if I'm going to spend more money to get a better preserved example of the greatest cars on earth, which model do I want?"
In the 4 to 7 thousand dollar range you will be able to find so many examples of great cars that you will become lightheaded and daydreaming will fill all your waking hours. You can choose from the 914, 924/s, 912, 911, 944 and possibly turbo models in seveal of those catagories.
I don't have any real information but I do have a warning, especially in this area, the hunt is always better than the kill. Take your time and enjoy it all. right after you bring home your trophy car your eyes will start to notice others, and still others. It is addictive. Look at all the posts, not too many people list just one.
Do yourself a favor- forget it- get a GEO and put your money in the bank. Try stamp collecting, its easier to hide in the garage than that modified 931 you have been trying to buy, but only came up for sale after you found and bought a low mile 951. Another story for another day.
Just have fun its only money.
chrisoc  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you've heard the technical side you'll agree that unless they give you the car or pay you to remove it from their sight you will spend alot of money without the satisfying wheel time to bond with your new baby. You will save money by initially spending more.
The question you need to ask is "what do I want?" The 1988 model year has a bit more HP (10), it also has more amenities to make your time in the car more enjoyable. These nice things are great until they start to malfunction.
The next question is "if I'm going to spend more money to get a better preserved example of the greatest cars on earth, which model do I want?"
In the 4 to 7 thousand dollar range you will be able to find so many examples of great cars that you will become lightheaded and daydreaming will fill all your waking hours. You can choose from the 914, 924/s, 912, 911, 944, 928 and possibly turbo models in a couple of those catagories.
I don't have any real information but I do have a warning, especially in this area, the hunt is always better than the kill. Take your time and enjoy it all. right after you bring home your trophy car your eyes will start to notice others, and still others. It is addictive. Look at all the posts, not too many people list just one.
Do yourself a favor- forget it- get a GEO and put your money in the bank. Try stamp collecting, its easier to hide in the garage than that modified 931 you have been trying to buy, but only came up for sale after you found and bought a low mile 951. Another story for another day.
Just have fun its only money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: