Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

What about the side molding on the car? *Pictures*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobbi  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These panels are original installed only for the turbo version.
(At least for the european market).
I know that because i bought the set 15 years ago at my local porsche dealer. The set comes with the metal bracket for the long sections, to make it stiffer. I used it to cover some bad looking dents on the side....
You can find the part nr. in the parts catalouge.

Nobbi
thirdgenbird  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joecitizennn wrote:
The thicker molding was on all SE cars. It was also on 944 and late 924s cars. The thin molding peels off of my 87 easily.

i want to do this on my 87 as well. should i be worried about paint damage? what process did you use?
17in caymans, koni yellow coilovers, hypercoil springs, kla solid upper mounts, 968 sway bars, kla drop links, kla strut brace, fidanza flywheel, dansk catback, wilwood front calipers, ss brake lines, e-codes, 944 duckbill, manual rack,momo steering wheel
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingernail is the best method. I just pulled up on the already peeling end of the black strip and slowly carefully pulled it away from the car. It is a plastic molding with what appears to be an aluminum strip inside. The adhesive is black, dense and rubbery. To get it off the car I used my fingernail. Pull up a stool because it takes some time. In some spots the glue can be very hard and is difficult to pick off, and in other spots it is soft and comes off a couple inches a minute. After I had peeled the adhesive off I used turtlewax bug and tar remover to remove the remaning residue.

I did not damage my paint at all, but that is no guarantee you wont. The adhesive on my car was relatively soft, and the car had been garage kept. I have seen cars more weathered and the adhesive is harder. That said, I have seen quite a few 924S cars with the strips removed, so there is probably a high success rate.

Last edited by joecitizennn on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
thirdgenbird  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the advice, i hate that black strip and it good to hear it should come off. my car is very clean with glossy paint so it looks like its spent a lot of time in a garage. the only sigh its spent some time ouside is a cracked dash but not being used to these cars, i dont know how quickly that happenes
17in caymans, koni yellow coilovers, hypercoil springs, kla solid upper mounts, 968 sway bars, kla drop links, kla strut brace, fidanza flywheel, dansk catback, wilwood front calipers, ss brake lines, e-codes, 944 duckbill, manual rack,momo steering wheel
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one other thought, make certain the car has not been repainted. If it was resprayed around the strips, peeling them off will look terrible.
thirdgenbird  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this crossed my mind as well but im not sure how to verify it before its too late. it only has 70k on it and is very clean so i am thinking/hoping its original paint.
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can check by looking very closely at the edges of the trim and weather strip, where the trim meets the painted surface. These areas would have to be masked off for a repaint, and believe me, nobody is a perfect masker, there will be a little bit of paint on the trim SOMEWHERE if the car was repainted.
NBRettie18  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What about the side molding on the car? Reply with quote

Neil924 wrote:
2Fast wrote:
I read that the side molding was standard equipment for the 1977 924. I have a 79 924 and it doesnt have it. Is it possible that as an option, porsche would remove the side molding for the car? I want to keep it factory, and if it was removed i want to replace it.

The rocker panel?

Neil i love those side mirrors, my dad has a pair from when he sold rallying parts in england that look basically identical. did you install those or is that a real carrera and came with them? if you installed them how hard was it?
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a real (4-lug) Carrera.
2Fast  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Not a real (4-lug) Carrera.
Isnt the spoiler a give away also?
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 4 lug wheels are excellent. Where do you get those?
2Fast  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuurbo wrote:
Those 4 lug wheels are excellent. Where do you get those?
Did I ever tell you guys that I went to get some wheels, and all they had that would fit my car are some $1000 BBS racing wheels?
924guy  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The thicker molding was on all SE cars. It was also on 944 and late 924s cars. The thin molding peels off of my 87 easily.

nope, my SE has thin trim.....
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

924guy wrote:
[nope, my SE has thin trim.....

I was referring to the 500 American Lemans SE 756 optioned cars of 1988. I know them generally as SE cars. I think maybe all the 1988 924S cars had the thicker molding but I am not totally sure.
thirdgenbird  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joecitizennn wrote:
you can check by looking very closely at the edges of the trim and weather strip, where the trim meets the painted surface. These areas would have to be masked off for a repaint, and believe me, nobody is a perfect masker, there will be a little bit of paint on the trim SOMEWHERE if the car was repainted.

i found a very very small amount of red on one of the rear window trim and some under the front bumper on some electrical wires...looks like im going to have to leave the molding on
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: