Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 carrera GT

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2000 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: krystal_klean@mail.com
Date: 1/30/00
Time: 8:32:43 PM

in regards to the carrera GT, there are some other info i was also after. The carrera GT is NOT a normal 931. the carrera puts out 375bhp compared to the 931's 220bhp. They don't even have the same engine. I was doing some checking on the carrera and found this out in a book called original porsche 924/944/968. It has a different engine than the others. Is it a different engine all together or just a different head and cam or what? The book was not too specific on the engine but very specific on the suspension, steering and etc. All of that is different than the 931 also. I would like to know what the difference is in the engine and if possible can that engine be found or a 931 engine be altered to match the carrera's engine. I just noticed the amazing difference in hp between the 2. if anyone has any info on this please let me know. if anyone would like the specs on the suspension, steering or anything else about the carrera please feel free to email me. thanks again.

Todd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2000 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email:
Date: 1/30/00
Time: 10:51:43 PM

Todd there are some specs you need to know.

The 931 or 924 turbo was rated for the US market at 150HP for 79-80 and 156HP 81-82, the ROW (rest of world) was rated at 170-177HP depending on the year

The GT was rated for 210 HP at 500 more rpm than the stock 931.

The GTS was rated for 245.

The GTR was rated for 375 (now this is not a set figure various engines were sold to private owners at lesser HP ratings, and sources vary on the actual HP, but the factory manual states 375.

The rarity of parts for all the hybrid 931 will make finding and affording these pieces very difficult. Occasionally an item will appear or a whole car, but you are looking at a historical and race hardware which is in the same league as 917 and 935 parts. Unobtanium is what I prefer to call them.

For the average racehead it is a good research but not practical to try and find these items. And along the way there have been improvements away from what the factory used in these cars.

Eventually when my research is done I'll post all that I have found on these cars here on the website. The best thing to do is to become a Porsche Club member (and you may be already) and start checking out the website related to the different zones (regions). There are several GT, GTS, and GTRs running at club events, most of them that I have heard of are East or West coast. Then you could contact the owners for details and maybe copies of factory manuals, photos etc.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2000 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: spkprobe@aol.com
Date: 2/2/00
Time: 12:10:01 AM

the 924 carrera gt and the 931 engine are the same. there is a difference in the cylinder head
as in valve size. the gts and gtr engine are different in that the gts has a different intake manifold and bigger turbo and the gts eghaust and intake are strickly racing item ( the 944t eghaust manifold setup is very close to the the gtr with the turbo located on the intake side) the gts had different camshaft timing than the gt or 931. and ran at 1.2 bar boost as opposed to the .8 bar the gt ran with. the european 931 ran with .7 but non intercooled. the european 931 had more power and much better gearbox gearing than there U.s. counterpart and any US 931 would be better off with this box than more power. the us gearing was to get porsche thru EPA. and had performance taken out of the equation. the euro 931 was actually faster than the euro spec 911sc of the time and was instrumental in getting the 931 voted best 2litre car 3 years running in europe. the carrera gt had the 931 suspension but the gts/gtr had the set-up that would later find it's was to the 944t. I have photo etc . of the factory gts taken at the last gunner cup where the car ran and can tell you this beast sounds like a big block chevy at idle with all the barp,barp, barp you could want. a lot of clutch slipping to get this beast away. ( i have that on video also).
Wayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2000 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: Ponzv@aol.com
Date: 2/4/00
Time: 5:24:42 PM

You got my blood boiling with your details on the Gts. I have a euro 931 in almost mint condition and even though it is in storage for the winter I can't wait for the good weather.

Love you all for the info on the cars we love above all.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: