Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

The "How to Make GT Headlights" Guide part 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dynamite76  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bump, would like to use headlights in DE. I'm not throwing money away on high dollar stuff, as they will be completely ripped out when I find a tow
muddy924  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just joined. Hello all.

Ref these headlights. Has anyone done this conversion using a specific
manufacturers square unit (other than Narva unit that is) ?

Have just started checking out my local breakers here in the UK and found that some Jeeps come with square/oblong Hella units - but they all seem to suffer from reflector corrosion. Am trying to carry out mods on a limited budget hence trying to find existing units that can be adapted.
endwrench  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with most of the OE lights like the Jeep units is they are all glass with no real way to attach to. You would need to incorporate the bucket too and there isn't enough room. I used a cheap set of H4 units I found at a local parts store. They are sold as a replacement for sealed beam units.

These are the ones I used. Plastic backs with glass lenses. They have four screw bosses on the back to attach to. They don't come with bulbs.

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Performance-Lighting-WI-HL6A-Conversion/dp/B0006309WU

Todd
muddy924  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd. They look great value for money and I can see what you mean about backing sections/bulk.
No sign on UK Google of this type of light unit (especially in RHD configuration) at any dealers. But at least I'm a small step forward knowing it is 6.5 x 4 inches.
Thanks for reply anyway.
john h  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early model Toyota coronas (late 80's) and Subaru Leones used rectangular lights - I used these in my conversion in the early 90's with Hella inserts in the Toyota/subaru mounting frames

if you take it to pieces slowly it can provide anguish all year long!
xEcUtEr  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now it's easy to find a conversion Kit on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250289961609
pocketscience  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't call it easy. That's not the entire kit - but it will get you started I guess. However, even with a complete kit the job's a PITA (voice of experience, see my avatar).

G.
69 911
xEcUtEr  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pocketscience wrote:
Wouldn't call it easy. That's not the entire kit - but it will get you started I guess. However, even with a complete kit the job's a PITA (voice of experience, see my avatar).

G.

it's easy to find a conversion kit... not doing the job! eheh

i don't know if i want to have all that painfull job eheheh

but it's a cool mod!
Martijnus  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xEcUtEr wrote:
pocketscience wrote:

G.

it's easy to find a conversion kit... not doing the job! eheh

i don't know if i want to have all that painfull job eheheh

but it's a cool mod!

You have to learn that it is more satisfying to build this stuff yourself than to buy it.

If you can make this nicely yourself like macbdog, you can brag about your skills at the bar and laugh at the ricers who 'buy' stuff for too much money and find out that all their stuff fits like crap and doesn't look like what they expected.

924 "50-jahre", 1981.
MSII/extra, LPG, ITB's, 5lug.
To be turbo'ed in a while.
Killed her at the Nurburgring, Porscheless at the moment
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update on this:

If you don't want to use the metal that was used you can use CF as well. I ended up opting to use pre-preg carbon fiber since it's already full of resin and is still somewhat stiff and pliable enough to make a template. The other nice thing is that you can cut it how you want it and mold it and then heat it up.

I'll post some pics when I'm finished with mine. I'm also trying to find a different way to mount the lense other than drilling into them and having the hardware visible on it, I would like to use 3M window weld or something to seal them. The lenses are still removable that way, and it can be resealed with the calking and it's black and looks nice and seals it from exterior stuff. I left a little overhang on the very rear of my lense so I can find a way to mount it with something on the back and 3M the rest.

Anyway... pics to come once I'm done.

BTW Thanks for the initial How To. The first time I tried making lenses it didn't go as I had planned. My issue was actually the material I laid them down on, the felt is necessary and you do definitely need enough sand to put pressure on the light to keep it from warping. Aside from that, it's pretty damn easy and took me a few minutes to cut them, a few more minutes in the oven and then just waiting for it to cool with the bag.

I prefer using fine weave than the larger weaves. I find it easier to work with and I think it looks better on auto parts.

Obviously this lense needs some fine trimming. But with a little trimming and a good fit with the new CF bucket I'm making it should turn out the way I want it. So far I'm very happy with the results

I'll get more pics later this week.

Pre-preg is pretty inexpensive to get ahold of, you won't have to mix your resin that way (if you're new to CF), you WILL need a LOT of heat though. You can totally do it with a heat gun but you have to get the stuff effing hot and you have to keep it hot for a while. That is probably the most time consuming part.

You'd have to find a good supplier local to you that has decent prices, you can look online too. But the stuff is light as a feather and easy to work with.

If you're more old fashioned you can opt to mix your own resin but for stuff like this where you're laying out simple curves and flat surfaces you could even mold it to a metal mold (like in page 1) heat it up till it's stiff where you want it, remove it from the metal and finish heating up the rest of it.
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
edh  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GTS-Headlight-Kit-Fiberglass-for-Porsche-924-944-944-S2-turbo-/252239810480

looks like a pretty good option - and they can supply the lights as well..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: