Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Valve Guide Clearance??

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2000 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: mholz27530@aol.com
Date: 1/26/00
Time: 4:14:47 PM

Does anyone know what the correct press fit clearance is for valve guide installation into the head? 1980 924 non-turbo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2000 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: krystal_klean@mail.com
Time: 7:46:54 PM

Mike,
Not right off hand but when i rebuilt my 79 i used the chilton and haynes
manuals like crazy. also there is a shop manual listed in performance products
which might also be a good investment. it's about $250.00 if memory serves, but
could be very useful later on. it's the same one used by the porsche mechanics.

Todd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2000 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email:
Time: 9:19:06 PM

Press fit clearance, do you mean a new guide in the head?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2000 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: mholz27530@aol.com
Date: 1/27/00
Time: 11:00:19 AM

Yes, that is what I mean. I am looking for these figures for my father, he has an '80 924 and I have an '80 931. We tend to do alot ourselves due to lack of shops doing good work or anything at all on 924's. He had purchased valve guides from Automobile Atlanta with their claim that they are correct, but they are .010" oversized and that would crack the head. I getting the impression that there were 3 different sizes offered from looking at this site's parts list. Any confirmation or help is greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2000 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email:
Date: 1/27/00
Time: 11:32:11 AM

I couldn't find anything in the factory manual other than the replacement guide sizes for the 924 below, the 931 has a different figure. They show a reamer being used but I don't know if that is on the ID of the guide or the ID of the guide hole in the head. I'll see if I can get a hold of my head guy and see what he knows and why they have oversize guides. I can't see why the hole in the head would need reaming under normal circumstances, unless there is erosion from the guide moving, but it was my understanding that it is pressed fit and there isn't any movement.

Bob

OD
normal ex 14.04
over 1 ex 14.24 one groove
over 2 ex 14.44 two

normal intake 14.04
over 1 14.22 or 24 (the parts list shows the 24 number) one
over 2 14.44 two

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2000 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email:
Date: 1/31/00
Time: 8:23:13 PM

Thanks.
As for the reamer it is used for the guide to valve stem clearance. I believe it is 9mm if I remeber correctly. Where is your head-guy located?
My father and I tend to do alot ourselves. We are also blessed with having our own non-auto business with machine shop capabilities. So, we tend to try things ourselves when we fail to find trustworthy people to work on our engines.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2000 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: bcdodd@rapfire.net
Date: 2/1/00
Time: 10:44:39 AM

Gary Robinson at Robinson Racing, years of extensive head work on all european makes, expert Alfa, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Etc. This fellow worked for Ford developing the rotary engine . His two sons a national winners in the thier age division for enduro? karts I believe. He is located in Broken Arrow OK. Anyone interested email me for his phone number, I would post it but I need to get his permission first.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: