Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Windscreen gaskets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AGD931  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Windscreen gaskets Reply with quote

This is my first "how to" so here goes...

I have never been a fan of the unsightly gap between the windscreen and the frame on 924's, I always had the impression that the factory forgot to fit something on the production line. My wife has even said to me on numerous occasions, "what is supposed to go in there?"

I have always enjoyed retrofitting "factory" improvements like this on all the cars I owned, I feel it adds to the pleasure of owning the car.

Well, I decided to do something about the windscreen frame and ordered the windscreen gaskets from the "first" 944's. The relevant part numbers are

944 559 027 00 - left gasket
944 559 028 00 - right gasket

Total cost for both 22 Euro.

Fitting them is very easy, I did it this way

- Clean windscreen glass around the edges where the gaskets will fit with a light alcohol. I used the wife's nail polish remover you may use your favourite brew if so inclined

- The gaskets have a light self-adhesive on one side protected by a plastic film. I did not remove this at first, as I trial fitted the gaskets in order to ensure correct fitment at the top windscreen moulding and at the bottom of the side mouldings.

- Having made the trial fitment, ensuring that the end of the gasket sits flush with the edge of the upper windscreen moulding, I peeled a small section of the plastic film at a time and then fitted the gasket merely by pressing it into the gap. The top of the gasket has a thin groove along its length which slots very nicely on to the edge of the side windscreen mouldings.

- Repeat the above for the other side, and enjoy a cold beer, (I was drinking cold coffee at the time..)

For some reason, the left gasket was about an inch longer than the right and hangs off the left moulding, I left it as it was as the rear edge of the bonnet conceals it.

As you can see from the pictures, the end result is definitely worthwhile and smartens up what is in reality a bit of an eyesore. I didn't "test drive" the new gaskets, but I think at high cruising speeds the gaskets will smooth out air turbulence around the frame. We'll see.

Arthur

morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice !
i bet that the big wooooooshhhhhhhh at over 100Km/h is gone now.
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks much better. This has been bugging me lately too.

Todd
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work. Thanks Arthur.

That really is an improvement.

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
john h  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good

I'm surprised that you didn't have them - both my Turbo's had the gakets, however the n/a I have don't have them but I know them have both had new windscreen's fitted - signs of broken glass in the car mainly in the vents, just figured teh windscreen guys were lazy (slack) and just couldn't be bothered refitting them.

I know when I had a new screen fitted to the GT replica I had to go back and make the installer search through the rubbish for those seals and also for the caps that go over the wipers bolts ( their response was they come with the screen and since I hadn't paid for the 944 screen I ddin't get them).

if you take it to pieces slowly it can provide anguish all year long!
pocketscience  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I recommend these - installed mine about 2 weeks ago. Much cleaner look.

Cheers,
69 911
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: