Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Head gasket

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2000 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: kevin_mcareavy@telus.net
Date: 1/23/00
Time: 6:13:55 PM

I have a 79 924 which I've owned for 5 years now. I've never had any problems with the car and it's a pleasure to drive. I normally park it in winter and only drive from Apr to Oct but this year I have the car on the road. Last night when I gassed up I had the garage throw in a litre of oil and then I went for a short spin just to warm the car up(about 50 km's). When I got home and turned the car off I heard a loud hiss and noticed a bit of steam coming out of the engine compartment. Whrn I lifted the hood I discovered the garage had neglected to replace the oil filler cap. I returned to the garage where the owner checked the oil. The oil was okay but the coolant was down. After topping up the coolant he sent me on my way. When I took the car out this morning as soon as it warmed up it started to overheat. I took it back to the garage where I discovered the coolant had dropped again. Also the coolant had a nice thick layer of oil floating on top. I'm assuming this is a blown head gasket. I have two questions. Could this just be an incredible coincidence to have the gasket go when the filler cap was left off? How big a job is it to replace the head gasket?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2000 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: Robert.Sarmiento@OAG.State.tx.us
Date: 1/24/00
Time: 6:52:58 PM

Kevin,

Your right, the gasket is blown. I've been reading up on the 924, and one of it's
characteristics to blow the gasket when the head gets hot. The job is to remove the
injectors, fuel manifold, the exaust manifold, timing belt and various vacumme and coolant
hoses. Hope it goes well.
Robear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2000 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: krystal_klean@mail.com
Date: 1/26/00
Time: 6:47:58 AM

don't worry it's not too bad. My first 924 was a 79. I had the same problem. if you're
mechanically inclined in the least bit it shouldn't be a problem. The toughest thing
i remember was trying to get the exghuast off. 3 pieces of advice. 1st call a
mechanic and tell him about the incident. It sure sounds related. 2nd, if you do
it yourself make sure you take the head to get it planed before reassembling it.
and 3rd but not least replace the timing belt when you rebuild. i learned all of these
when i blew my head gasket. if you do it yourself make sure you mark all hoses
and wiring to avoid confusion later. hope i helped.

Todd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2000 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: kevin_mcareavy@telus.net
Date: 1/26/00
Time: 9:57:04 PM

Thanks for your advice. I don't have anywhere to work on my car currently so I'm taking it to a mechanic. He's done stuff for me before and I trust him. I told him what happened and he's told me it was just a coincidence and I can't blame the guy who left off the filler cap. Oh well c'est la vie. Thanks again.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: