Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

rear hatch shocks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
samurai924s  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i first got my car, about a year ago, the shocks worked ok. now they dont work at all; the hatch just drops like a rock. the oil is leaking a bit around the shock.the shocks have a wire hooked to them for defrosting, could accidently leaving the defroster on for a long time (like a few days) mess up the shock and cause them to stop working like mine. how much are the hatch shocks to replace, i thought i saw somewhere that they were like $70 a peice.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know where you are but go to canadian tire they sell cheap shocks and they will be able to find something that will match, if you wanna have fun trying to close it i got a pair of 100lb shocks and put them on the hatch of a hyundia pony it was great i could sit someone that weight less than 100lb and open it and it would lonch them, hehehe
gohim  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy new correct hatch shocks from one of the Aftermarket Porsche Parts Suppliers. They cost about $30 each, and you want to buy both.

You could probably find some Generic Shocks that would physically fit, but the pressure could be wrong. 924s and 944s already have problems with the glass delaminating from the metal frame. Too high a pressure, and the shocks will over-stress the glass to metal frame bond.

Once this happens, the glass could separate from the frame, and you will be due for a replace hatch, as it is almost impossible to reattach the glass as it was originally, permanently.
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid about $66 for a new pair from Best Deal in Orange County, California. Make sure you always close your hatch with both hands, or you will have the glass separation problem Gohim stated above. Also make sure that both of your hatch pins are seating and locking with the hatch down, or the same problem could occur. Best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: