Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

What to look for when buying a 924

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2000 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: blindbat1851@netzero.net
Date: 1/18/00
Time: 8:15:24 PM

I'm looking to buy a 924 and would like to know if there is any thing
that I should look for.Like any known problems I should look for.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2000 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: 924martinirossi@email.msn.com
Date: 1/18/00
Time: 9:28:54 PM

1. EXTERIOR: Ensure all body seams line up correctly. All gaps around hood etc. should be 7mm. Pull back interior door pannel(a little to see if the inside of the door is a different color. Check for over spray under car. The bodys are galvanised so their "should" be no rust. Rust on the body pannels could indicate bondo.

2. BRAKES: The VW front disk usually need replacing. Rotor thickness should be 11mm or better. Use an open end metric wrench to measure. Check rotors for scoring and if the car pulls to one side suspect seized calipers or mis-adjusted rear drums.

3. INTERIOR: Check carpets for dampness. If found on passanger side it is a sure bet that the battery acid has caused it. If the carpets are wet in the rear it usually is a leaky sunroof or water is wickind down the wiring loom from the rear of the car due to pinched/damaged rear hatch pin lock drain tubes. Also check the drain holes on each side of the firewall, it is a favorite place for leaves to block the holes and pool water around the battery and wiper motor.
Same goes no water in spare tire area or in both rear fender wells. Inspect under dash and in engine compartment for sloppy wiring job of an excess of electricans tape.

4. DRIVETRAIN: Worn CV joints will 'clunk' or make a whirring noise while coasting, however under load the noise sometimes stops. A 'grinding' noise from the rear indicates bad rear bearings. While sitting still in the car the torque tube bearings should make no noise when the clutch is pushed in.

5. STEERING: If you can inspect the car on a rack the least ammount of pressure required to turn the tires should cause the steering wheel to move also. Check the front bearings by moving the tire from top to bottom and side to side. Very little play should be noted.

I could go on-and-on but hopefully someone will pick up where I left off and John will add this to the 924 Garage

Regards;

Michael
924 Martini Rossi

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: