Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

HARRASSMENT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hassled by Gohim for the LAST TIME. Ok?

I gave pretty solid advice for users to try TOLULENE in their gas, just as these AUDI owners do, just as the 944 Turbo and 911 Turbo guys do, and if you read the 931 discussion you can see GOHIM harrassing me, again, and I think it's incredibly unfair that an ANONYMOUS POSTING PERSON can do this on our board.

Am I alone in suggesting TOLULENE? Is it bad advice?

NO! Gas companies put it into your gas.
Other turbo cars use it. Chripes!

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/95187.phtml

Vaughan, or someone in charge, please do something about this person!!!
gohim  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick,

Adding Tolulene to your gas is a bad idea.

It isn't even legal here in the U.S. The information that you reprinted in the General Discussion Area shows how toxic it really is.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is already in your gasoline Gohim. How do you think they raise octane?
killer931  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I Believe using Toulen as the only
extra ingredient is not useless, but when also adding methanol, that´s when the fun begins,
because you can adjust octane value

If you wish, I´ll ask how to blend
to get most benefit on street engines
without having to set ignition
to unhealthy levels

I think it´s something like this:
6% methanol -- 12% toulen (or more of each
at same ratio)

fredrik

[ This Message was edited by: killer931 on 2002-05-31 06:37 ]
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all depends on your compression or boost though. Lots of cars will do best on 87 octane gas.

Anyways, it's an ancient hotrodding trick to add toluene to your gas, the same with ethanol and methanol. Mohawk uses ethanol to raise octane, with great success.

As for the toxicity, gasoline is highly toxic, and one of the more carcinogenic compounds on the planet. Diesel fuel is ridiculously deadly stuff, and yet we have countless numbers of diesel trucks, trains, ships, generators, etc.

If you want clean fuel, run an alcohol car, or an electric. Or hydrogen, or compressed air! If you want performance at reasonable cost, realize that every time you get gas on your hands, you are increasing your risk of getting cancer.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man that means i should be dead already then
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, keep in mind that smoking also causes cancer, but it takes 20 or more years most of the time. It's really a random thing, sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't. Eat lots of fiber and exercise, and take anti oxidants

Anyways, for a quick, cheap octane boost, find a science supply store, and check out ethanol and or methanol. Ethanol is safer to deal with, but is denatured with either chemical dehydrant, or methanol.

Sometimes you get a scary wakeup though. I quit smoking more than a year ago, after I had a sharp pain in my lung that wouldn't go away...
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i dont smoke and never have, i was talking about getting gas on me
larso  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on what the by-product is. Gas itself is the worst thing you can tough, or smell. It causes cancer. The by-product of gas isn't that bad, if you have your car tuned. SO what's the by-product of Toluene. I know methanol is also cancerous in it's state. Where gloves when you put it in your tank, don't spill it on your hands. The by-product, however is what counts if you are putting it in your car. So what happens when toluene burns? Also for anyone who is running toluene/.methanol it's only useful if you want more safety, or if you are in fact upping the compression/boost. IT doesn't help your power output if you just put it in and do nothing else to the car. I see guys go into the store and buy octane booster in there car..the bottles say they boost performance, that's bull shit unless your engine is dirty and you want to restore stock power. You can in fact get more power out of a car, if you run lower octane in it, if it requires lower octane. Lower octane fuel ignites better and therefore gives more power. Rule of thumb, don't add toluene/methanol/octane booster to your car unless you have actually raised compression, or if your engine is dirty.

For health issues, we need to see what the by-product of toluene is, to end this discussion. Stop wasting time writing paragraphs of stuff when you can solve a problem in a few lines. Tell me what the by-product of toluene is in one line and there is your answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: