Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Air/Fuel mixture gauge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any troubles using an LCD air/fuel mixture gauge? Are they significantly slower than an analog gauge? They shouldn't be, but I notice they're typically slow and I want my readouts to be accurate. Anyone have experience with LCD's and their accuracy over time?
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Cyberdyne LCD air-fuel gauge in my dashboard for almost 10 years. Don't have experience with any others, but I'd think an LCD would be faster than an analog. Never had any trouble with it.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. I have to wire up a couple of resistors, but aside from that, I'll go with the LCD and try to rig up an LED backlight of some sort.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. When you said LED that rang a bell - the display on my gauge is actually LED, not LCD...sorry.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one I have. JCWhitney sells them for $35.95 part no.: 81uy5401x

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/products.html?http://www.alamomotorsports.com/cyberdyne_afm.htm
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a pic of the gauge to my website showing where it's mounted in the dash. Click "www" below and select "Air/Fuel Gauge".
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reading on the gauge in the picture is 14.9(+-.45):1. I just got my car inspected recently here in NJ through Christy Whitman's wonderful new inspection system. They give you a printout of the emissions. The CO% limit for my car is 1.69 and the reading was 0.53 - pretty good. HC limit is 180 and the reading for my car was 58 - looks fine. -But the NOx limit is 1378 and my reading was 1368 - passed, but too close. I got out my trusty little CO gas tester and turned up the richness a bit, about .40%CO so my total CO is about .98% now - still ample leeway to 1.69% and with that the NOx should be lower as these readings go in opposite directions up to a point - (raise CO and NOx goes down (and HC goes up)).

Well, all of that may or may not have been interesting, but the reading on my dash gauge is higher by 1 LED now (not surprising), but the gauge gives a steady reading at idle and bounces back and forth between a high and low while driving due to the operation of the o2 sensor and frequency valve. The high/low range while driving is increased by one LED - before, it bounced between 16.25:1 and 13.5:1. Now, with the richness turned up a bit, the gauge bounces between 15.7:1 and 12.9:1 and the steady reading at idle is the sixth LED from bottom (14.4:1) - before, it was the fifth LED (14.9:1). -So, by adjusting that air-fuel mixture screw at the fuel distributor, the engine is running richer both at idle and while driving in spite of the operation of the frequency valve and lambda control box.

[ This Message was edited by: smoothie on 2002-05-31 14:53 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: