Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Audi 4.2 32V V8 into 924S?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Audi Coupe GT  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Audi 4.2 32V V8 into 924S? Reply with quote

Gents,

I happen to own a 1993 Audi V8 32V engine - all aluminum, 276hp. I also have access to an engineless 924S. My father races a 924S in Class H PCA, and I've tracked it quite a bit, so I know how quick the cars are.

I was wondering if anyone would have any insight into a conversion of this nature. I was planning on using an Audi chassis - either a 95 90 quattro sport, or a 1980's turbo quattro coupe, but a friend just brought it to my attention that I have the 924S available.

Engine management would not be the issue - I'm more concerned about motormounts and mating the Audi motor the the Porsche bell housing/torque tube.

Again, any help would be appreciated.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine mounts would be easier in a 924S than a 924 as the S engine is mounted on the crossmember rather than the upside-down body-mounted arrangement of the 924.

Use the bellhousing that goes with the Audi V8 and modify that to bolt up to the torque tube.

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
moone924  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the 924 NA bell-housing will accommodate the Audi I5 and the 4.2 V8 will bolt to the transaxles normally accommodating the I5 .... so looks like a go.... Not sure about clutch....

Sounds like a good motorgeek project thread.

Always shopping for a nice s2 931 to baby.
New philosophy : one car project at a time.
Audi Coupe GT  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Well, here's one for you.... the 924 '76-'82 2.0 bellhousing is a straight bolt-up to the I-5 Audi, and the 924 2.0 bellhousing will bolt to the 944 torque tube. Currently there are a few 924 NA's with a Audi NA I-5... and one somewhere in Europe with a ANN. The big problem is there isn't much room between the engine and strut towers. Also with the American V8 and V6 engines they're too tall so you need to have a bubbled engine-hood or something. Check out the engine swaps section at 924board.org ."

- from motorgeek.com

So, the Audi V8 (same as i-5) mates to the 2.0 bellhousing, to the 924S/944 bellhousing.

Now, what about the flywheel/clutch?
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if you're sure the 924 bellhousing will bolt up to the Audi V8 then my suggestion would be to get a 924 Turbo (931) bellhousing. The turbo's clutch is hydraulically operated and a lot bigger than the normally aspired 924 cable-operated clutch. In fact putting it into an "S" pretty much dictates a hydraulic clutch.

You'll need to beef up the clutch diaphram. Do a bit of a search on the board. I`m fairly sure that John H in New Zealand runs a 911 clutch and diaphram in his racecar which should cope with the torque from the V8.

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
Audi Coupe GT  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do - thanks for the input. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Audi V8, but it's quite cammy/peaky - max power is nearly at redline, and the hp/torque rating of 276/295 is, while underrated from the factory, not telling of how the car really behaves. That said, it's also used to hauling around 4,000lbs of German steel, so dropping it into a 2400lb chassis will certainly transform the performance - and I'd never call a 4.2 V8 quattro slow. The motor certainly isn't as torquey as my cousin's chipped S4, which - while having the same hp rating, runs nearly 380ft/lb torque at 3,000ish rpms.

I guess that what I'm saying is since this will be a track car nearly exclusively, I'm not terribly concerned that the transmission/clutch will be overwhelmed by massive launches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: