Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Triumph / Diamond Auto Glass Boston - Avoid!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-nick  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Triumph / Diamond Auto Glass Boston - Avoid! Reply with quote

I finally scheduled my car in to have the windshield replaced. The glass is pulling out of the butyl seal at the driver's side top - enough for water to leak through. Not to mention the wind noise coming in - I can feel a breeze if I put my hand in the right place...

So, upon Vaughan's good luck & pricing, I called up Triumph/Diamond Auto Glass to come out and do the deed. The "installer" told me I would have to drop the car off at his shop, "possibly overnight" because "Porsches are very difficult to do" (I wonder how many miles and dents I would get it back with). Then he goes on to talk about a "very expensive" rubber gasket seal that I would probably need. All this on top of the $249 base price.

After trying to explain that the early windshields just seal up with butyl rope and that I could probably pull the current one with my fingers, and that I knew a number of folks who had their's done without issues, his response was "they must be better installers than me". No kidding

Anyway, JN Phillips Auto Glass is coming out Friday to my location for the replacement. They're even $15 cheaper at $234.

I would think twice about Triumph/Diamond!
15psi boost, MS-II, EDIS, 951 IC, custom intake, Ford 5.0L throttle body, Forge BOV, WB o2, G31 w/LSD, 964 wheels, 968 rear sway, Bilsteins, 200# Welt. springs. A laptop, and a partridge in a pear tree.
1991 964 C4 Cabriolet
jpab924  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a donor 924 with a good windsheild. One of the installers that come by the shop came out to my home and removed the donors car windshield and removed the cracked windshield in my project car and intalled the good windshield for a grand total of $50 on the side.

I removed everything that needed to be taken out to make his job easier. He was done in less than an hour.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out that I had a horrible experience when I first called Triumph, on the weekend right after cracking the windshield. The guy wanted to hit me for nearly $500, this after we'd already quoted it online (via a crewmember at home with online access) for the aforementioned $250 or whatever. So I refused to schedule anything with him, in part because he couldn't do it that day anyway.

When I did schedule to have it done, I submitted the request through their website. They called me, at which point I confirmed pricing as the lower price. Clearly their local guys are leaning towards the shady side, but using the online system locks in the better quote.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick you are right. Only the goop holds the windshield in. I have had about 4 put in my Porsches. The installer only has to be clean and install the glass right. NO special anything. NONE.
Hardest part is removing trim without bending it. While you are at it clean up the rust under the trim. This is one of the only places I have seen rust on our cars.
88 924S SE
87 911 Targa stock
NEMESIS  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to have a windsheild replaced but if I were I would probably remove the trim myself. Especially if it has never been removed before.

Now's the time to think about upgrading the top trim peice to the slanted version from a later car if you do not have it already.
Desolation  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slanted version?
-nick  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ from a 924S. I think early 944's had a slanted top metal trim piece too.

I'm going to see if they can use a generic rubber gasket like Porschev's (in another glass thread).
15psi boost, MS-II, EDIS, 951 IC, custom intake, Ford 5.0L throttle body, Forge BOV, WB o2, G31 w/LSD, 964 wheels, 968 rear sway, Bilsteins, 200# Welt. springs. A laptop, and a partridge in a pear tree.
1991 964 C4 Cabriolet
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top trim piece pretty much agrees with the definition of slanted. Is this it? - http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/smoothies931pics/detail?.dir=/14dcre2&.dnm=a16are2.jpg&.src=ph
If so, they started with it in '82. It also had a thin rubber gasket beneath to seal where it touched the glass at the leading edge.

[Nevermind - I just looked it up in PET and they did change to the slanted 944 trim part starting with late '82 924 and 931, so that is the later slanted piece in my pic.]

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
NEMESIS  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep smoothie's got it.

-nick I saw the rubber seal thread too, that looks pretty good as well.

The later cars also had a rubber tube inserted in the outer channel created by the side pieces that kind of filled the gap so to speak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: