Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

transaxle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
samurai924s  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might be a dumb question but how do you check the tranny fluid, or do you. i dont know that much about transaxles and i have even had the tranny off of the car before from when i changed my clutch but i didnt see any thing that makes it convenient to do regular fluid maintenece on the tranny
-nick  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the short answer is if it's leaking, it's low. if not, it's full.

otherwise it's not very easy to check. with the trans installed there are two extremely large hex head bolts (17mm maybe) on the driver's side of the trans. one near the bottom and another some distance above it. if you take out the top bolt the level of the oil should be about 10mm below the hole. easy to measure huh!?

or you can just drain it all out (by removing the bottom bolt) and then fill it full of 2.75 quarts for the 4spd or 2.5 quarts for any of the 5spds by pumping it in.

-nick
carnut280  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the sources I have checked first of all confirm that it is a 17 mm allen plug, but also say that when you check it, use your finger as a dipstick, and stick it in the hole. if you stick your finger in, and have to move it down to touch some fluid, it's low, but if the fluid is LEVEL with the bottom of the drain plug hole, it is full.
gohim  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Porsche Spec for the oil level in the Audi trannies was changed years ago. The current spec from Porsche works out to be below the level of the side hole, something like 1/4". It has something to due with the amount of energy wasted by churning the gear oil, and the lower oil level is supposed to be adequate.

Personally, a little energy loss for a larger safety margin would seem to be a good trade off. It would be a bummer to have small leak that you can't see run your gear box out of oil, and trash it.
samurai924s  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ill check it. would you guys recomend a particuler fluid?
-nick  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

search the arachives for the redline trans fluid thread. you want the thicker of the two they offer (can't remember if it's the MTL or MT-90). swepco is also a good choice.

neither are particularly cheap (~$8/quart i think) but you'll love to shift after you make the switch to synthetic!

-nick
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castrol syntec is a good synthetic oil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: