Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

SCCA ClubRally Quandry

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bacook  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the racing bug really bad and I want to give Rallying a shot. Problem is I have an '81 924 and a '91 Integra. Both cars are paid for, both are mechanically sound, and both would likely be in the same competition bracket. (I need to research that)
Here is the source of my problem:

• There are few races in Texas, so getting the cars to the events is an issue.
    Parts are about the same in availability and cost.
  • The Integra is much more refined and probably more reliable.
  • I haven't worked on the Integra engine yet other than replacing injector o-rings, and I know the 924 in and out.
  • There are lots of sources for working on Acura engines.
  • Suspension, tires, and safety equipment will probably cost the same.
  • I have a family and the money tree is not in season.

On one hand, the 924 would be fun, unique, and rear wheel drive. On the other hand, the Acura has a better engine, front wheel drive, air conditioning and heater (unlike the 924), and will probably be more competitive.

If you had the choice, which would you focus on, the Integra or 924? Granted, this is a 924 board, but that means there are many people who also have limited funds and a bit immagination!

924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, good question. The answer lies in what your aims are. Will you be satisfied just having a fun time in a car you know well and that's reliable and fun to drive, or do you need to win at any cost?

The 924 is very reliable, easy to drive fast, handles like a dream when properly setup, and is just all about fun on the cheap. You can be competitive, but only with the older cars (like the 1st gen RX7). That's where I'm at with my car.

However, you can't win, not against the Hwords, and there's no way around it. You either have to accept your fate, and just go have fun, or build a Hword (aka H*nda).

The Integra can be made to be fast, if not as fast as a CRX on road courses, and you can just call up King Motorsports and buy an engine that'll win. You can get some of the goodies that you can't easily for a 924, like a Quaife or Torsen. However, you will pay for your lack of knowledge of the car, and you will never find it as fun and relaxing to drive on the edge as the 924. The FWD cars, when properly set up, tend to be rather unstable. Also, consider that the 924 has a weight split of 48/52 F/R. By contrast, a stripped FWD car typically ends up with something like 60/40 at best - so the weight's on the front end, and the whole car rotates around the front... just nowhere near as nice and elegant to drive, but they can be much faster.

Depends what you're after. You know which camp I'm in.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
LJD@FSU  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my humble opinion . . .

rallying is a blast and you'll have fun in either car, but rallying can also beat up your car. you can look at this in 1 of 2 ways:

- race the integra because they're a dime a dozen and it's not such a crime to abuse it.

- race the 924 because it's more fun to make repairs on the porsche than on the luxo-civic.
Peter  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you try a PCA DE?
Its not as fun as the European rallies (racing around narrow mountain roads, with the Mediterranean sea below you filled with yachts...you race through sleepy little towns ... and at night while your crew prepares your car for tomorrow you go out into the cafes where a slew of adoring wealthy women compete to buy you drinks just to hear your exciting racing stories). Ohh.., I am sorry, I must have been dreaming. Where was I? Yeah, rally racing, DEs are also fun.
-Peter A. Holiat
John Brown  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. While not advertised as such a PCA Drivers Ed is the cheapest way to get started. At least on the East Coast. Not sure about Texas.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well hondas are like a tampon, every pussy needs one, they also handle like shit the 924 is a good reliable car that u know in and out so go with it if something breaks you can replace it easily instead of having to pay someone with a toothpick for and arm to get to anything
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: