Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

found a $50 924...got some ?'s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spott  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1980 924. Body and interior is is B+
shape. I intend to pull the motor and begin a rebuild. I know this has been asked ad-nauseum but...

What do I need (brands/links) to rebuild with some moderate performance.

I will work on the asthetics to start whil I compile the necessary engine/trans components .
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new engine?

Just kidding. I think Applebit has the best value formula. Do you have to meet emissions?

If you're going to do a rebuild, consider a stroker kit with high compression pistons. This is going to cost a bit,($1300), but is one of the few option for big power gains.

A distributorless ignition system is also good, port and polish the head(you can DIY), get a new cam($300), EFI conversion... If you plan it very well, source the right parts and know what you are doing, it is theoretically possible to push more than 200hp, but I don't think anyone here has done that. Applebit and Alex Roy are probably the closest, but I think Alex will be well over 200 when he's got his engine back in.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually there is one person with a 924 with 210 hp and he doesnt have a turbo yet he has bored it out to be 2.4l i think and he has also modified it to look like a 924 carrera gt
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's pretty easy to get power if you stroke the motor and bump the compression to 12:1 or so. Add a hot cam, P&P, big TB, 40lb injectors... it goes on.

Better just to get a 931 motor, and do a stroker rebuild, and raise the boost.
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBass- that's the hard thing though... When you stroke the engine and then on top of that raise boost it gives you power, but you can actually get better power sometimes if you do not stroke the engine... It's a very complicated deal and there is no simple formula. Scott probably could tell us the best, but I have read it a few different places and been told it at the machine shop....

Go to my website and you'll get some idea's on what you can change and modify easily....

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
Cbass  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is the simple formula of get a 931, add an intercooler and boost controller for 300 bucks, and make 250 hp....

That requires a 931 though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: