Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

77 924 engine swap (of course)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoSTPsYcHo  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i am new to the board. I finally got my dad's old 924 that has been sitting for awhile. I really don't want to work on the N/A engine that is in there i have been looking at this board and other site for possible engine that could fit in the 924. Does any one no of engines that would fit in there without alot of fabrications done to the engine bay i could do it however i would like to stay away from that(I am willing to hear a few with alot of work only if it is worth it). Alot of feed back would help thanx
Paul T.  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean this in any disrespectful way, but you can fit anything from a Saturn 5 rocket engine to a 5 HP lawnmower engine in the thing if you want. The most common swap to be done is a Chevy 350 engine. However, the kits to do this are no longer made. So, depending on how much money, time, and effort you are willing to put into it, the sky is the limit as to what you can put into it. Any way you look at it, it will be expensive, time consuming, and it will require a lot of home grown fabrication on your part. Good Luck!
LoSTPsYcHo  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When people do the 350 swap is it carb or the tune port injected. And if the kit for the 350 is no longer made are there still instruction on how to do it or for that matter any of the engine swaps.
What i really want to do is twin turbo the 924. Since you said that any engine will fit in there i guess i can find a R34 skyline sr20dett ebgine and it will fit right.
I would love to have a V8 but the way gas is that is near suicide.
Paul T.  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not any engine will just fit. Some engines are too long for the current engine bay, but if you were willing to chop and extend the nose of your car about 4 feet, you could fit a WW2 Merlin 12 cylinder airplane engine in it. Seriously, this topic has been kicked around ever since this board was started, and many have lots of great ideas. But thus far, no one has ponied up the money or the pictures and really done it. There may be a few that have, but no plans or anything else has been offered up to those of us interested in performing such a modification. If you choose to do this, DOCUMENT AND PHOTOGRAPH EVERYTHING! Then the rest of us will have some sort of guide to go by.
LoSTPsYcHo  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i do it i will have a lot of pictures and will put them up on this board and i will have a web site and say what i did. The the most important thing i have to do first is find the perfect engine to put in the car without like you said chopping and extending the nose of the car 4 feet. Put after i am done with the restore of the car i will have so many pics for everyone.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a V8, the best bet is a Land Rover engine. It's a compact V8, all aluminum alloy, and fits without a lot of trouble.

If you want a non V8, the Turbo 20V 5 cylinder is a swap that doesn't require any chopping or welding, and gives you as much power as you need. This motor has a really nice powerband, and with a bit of chipping and minor things, can make 300hp, and 320 ftlbs(at 2000 rpm).

I don't think anyone has tried to fit a SR20, but I don't think it would be very hard. The wiring would be a bitch though.
Paul T.  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were going to put an engine in this car, it would be a Chevy LT1 engine. Power out the wazoo! Your balance would be off, but that would be not such a big deal considering you could smoke just about anything on the road. Documentation and pictures would be great, if you did that, you would be among the first.
LoSTPsYcHo  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul T. i was thinking about the lt1 engine because i love that engine.
But with all the talk of V8's (302,350,or land rover) no has said if it is a carb or fuel injected because if it was carb wouldn't i have to make a custom hood because it would be to tall.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuelly motors are preferable, but there are tricks to fit carbs under hoods.

Fitting a SBC into a 924 is more trouble than it is worth, and will destroy the handling. If you want a car that looks like a 924 with a V8, get a 79-85 Mazda RX-7, take the engine crossmember out, drop it back in backwards, and bolt in a Ford 5.0 EFI motor with stock Ford mounts.

You will have to fab a straight section of rectangular tube steel, with a flange on either end, as a tranny crossmember. It clears the hood and is emissions legal in california.

If you want to swap an engine into a 924, make sure it is a German engine, or at least a European engine.
LoSTPsYcHo  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not going to get another car just to do a engine swap. Handling it's not a big concern to me because its not like i am doing road races with it.
But what german or European engines are you talking about and where can i buy one and is it hard to find parts. That is a major concern with me doing a engine swap if something needs to be replaced i dont wanna pay an arm and a leg to get it. That is the main reason why i was thinking of a 350 or 302 because i can always find parts for it and not sell one of my others cars to afford maintaining the car.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Audi 5 cyl swap, good performance, and parts aren't that expensive. Find an older Audi S4, S6 or 200 Turbo. Same performance as you'll get out of a stock replacement 350. 230hp, 260ftlbs.

It has a really nice powerband, with tons of low end torque. If you need more power, you can get a chip for it that will remap your fuel and ignition, and raise the boost by 5 lbs. Expect 300hp, 330ftlbs, and it weighs the same as a 924 2.0L. It does require you to fabricate a motor mount, and relocate a few things like washer fluid resevoir. I would also get a new rad.
LoSTPsYcHo  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what year S4 could i put in there and has anyone that you know of done it so i can talk to them.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeup. A guy here called 925 Turbo. I am trying to wring more details about it from him.

Check out the 5 cyl thread in this forum, thats most of the info so far. It's for 1990+ Audi 200s, S4s and S6s up to 96 I think.

http://www.s-cars.org has good info on the engines.
larso  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-15 05:54, Cbass wrote:
Fuelly motors are preferable, but there are tricks to fit carbs under hoods.

Never drive a car with a hood on unless it's raining.

Larso
LoSTPsYcHo  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys I think I will go for the Audi swap since my dad is asst manger there and I can get help from the mechanics there if I need any.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: