Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

996 engine in a 924/944
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone heard or thought of putting a 996 engine in a 924/944 you would probably need a stronger rear end but the car would kill
plus better fuel economy because of the vario cam only one downside price of engine is probably 15k
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta be kidding.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely hope so. I know of several people right now who are attempting the 968 engine/924S swap. This is realistic, it can be done. Similar displacement, same variocam, similar power. Has the potential for 600hp, 500ftlbs. It fits, there is a minimum of fabrication and work to be done.

But a flat 6, that's just too wide to fit in a 924. If you want something with a flat 6, get a 914, and drop it in that.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is anyone able to get the dimensions of a flat 6 because I think that it would be about the same width as a v8, and it is way lighter, and hey why not keep it porsche instead of bringing the unefficent american engines into it. 3.6l 420 bhp, 350cc 300bhp
bacook  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I could afford a 996 engine, I'd buy a 993! Carrera 4 (the one with understeer)
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be the first one to say it.

That is so not going to work. A V8 is a compact double bank motor. Due to it's V shape, the stroke moves on anywhere from a 100 to 20 degree angle. The stroke on a boxer motor is at 180 degrees, add to this the DOHC cylinder head, and you have a really wide motor. This swap would be possible if you removed the wheel wells, and relocated the suspension and tires a foot in either direction.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford to buy a 996 engine you can't possibly be stupid enough to put one in a homely 924...

lol

Hey! Wait! Put it in the HATCH!

That's it! Pull the spare tire, get a cutting torch, make a big-arsed hole, and cobble up a 996 transaxle and suspension.

Should cost you, using Adie's formula, about $400 USD for the whole conversion!

Talk like this makes me excited!

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2002-05-15 00:13 ]
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Rick, I just peed on myself.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it! Why didn't I think of that before. Of course, if you wanted to keep a good weight balance, you'd have to keep the 4 cyl up front, and revese engineer a 4WD transfer case to take the power from both... Thats brilliant!! :roflmao:
Lizard  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be a killer in descise

yes the does move at a 180 deg and the v8 has less there however look at the length of the connecting rods and through the v8's cylinder walls are longer and the connecting rods are as well also the carnk is way bigger
Geddy T  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://www.968.net/modifications/images/968_engine_in_a_944.jpg[img]
I hope that image worked
just look at this 968 engine in a 944 engine bay. Destroke it slightly, turn it on its side, and stack two of them in there opposing each other with the crank cases overlapping. I don't see it happening. It's already tight standing up! In the 996 Porsche only has to worry about packaging the engine between the non-turning wheels in a widebody'd car, and I'd bet it's crammed in there even still. Now put it in between the steering wheels of a car that I'm pretty sure is narrower? I don't see it happening. But dropping it in the butt of a 924!? Where do I sign!!?? (me pooping from laughter) Adie's formula! (me pooping, peeing, and hurling from laughter all at the same time)
Geddy T  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try that again:

Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, now I have to track down the owner of that 944!

Something looks like it is missing from that engine bay.... Can't quite put my finger on it....

Oh yeah, turbocharger and IC At only $5000 to build a 968 Turbo motor, how can you refuse?
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah i definatly needs a turbo and intercooler
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Geddy, where did you find that pic?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: