Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Big Break Upgrade.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revis Rose  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gang,
You guys will love this. Two weeks ago I received a pair of 944 Turbo rear calipers that I bought from a fellow on Ebay. You know those very nice 4 pistion Brembo that all those Speed Racer want-a-bes have on there racy racecars? (or stock Porsches) Well I had these sitting on my work bench next to a set of standard 924 calipers. Guess what? The 944T rear caliper bolt patarns have same spacing distance as the 924 calipers.

You know I had to investigate this further. Here is what I found. The 944T rear calipers will bolt on to the front spindles of a 924/924T with 4 bolt lugs. To do it I had to use 3/8" spacers between caliper and the spindle, 3/8" longer bolts. This placed the center of the caliper over the center of the rotor. What was really cool was that the stock break sheild was left in place. And it looks like a stock installation.

Ok, here is the rub, to use these big momma's you would will need thicker break pads. The stock 944T pads are 5/8" thick, there are thicker pads available from Hawk Break Pads that come in .677, .710, .750, and .950 thick sizes for about $120. With some experimenting you would be able to come up with the right thinkness. The other problem is fitting wheels over these new breaks. That means the you will need wheel spacers and longer lug bolts. This may require customs wheels they will fit.

So this can be done. But it also begs the question. Should it be done? Well I don't think so because when you are done you will still have drum breaks on the rear. But I think its a hoot that you can bolt them on a standard 924.

Joes924  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must look kind of silly though..
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing that would be really ugly would be trying to fill those monster brakes from the stock early brake MC - I'd definitely want to upsize that...

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: