Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

How to replace the early type heater fan motor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dans931  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: How to replace the early type heater fan motor Reply with quote

924s up to 81 used a blade fan blower motor. The Haynes and Chilton manuals describe a lengthy process of pulling the dash and console out to get to the heater unit which also needs to come out to split in two and change the motor. Unwilling to do this, I replaced the motor completely from under the hood. To do this, I removed the air intake screen, which snaps off, and then the air control flap underneath. The motor is now exposed. Next, I carefully cut each of the plastic support brackets for the motor where they attach to the heater unit. The motor is now free to lift out. To reinstall, mount the new motor to the two halves of the bracket you removed. You will need about eight small "L" shaped metal brackets sold at any hardware store and some short self-tapping or sheetmetal screws, and short 4mm nuts, lockwashers, and bolts. Two "L" brackets are used to reattach each plastic support to the heater unit. Bend each "L" bracket in a vise so that their curvature will match the hole in the heater unit. Then line up two brackets, back to back on one of the plastic supports from the motor and mark where the holes line up. Drill a 4mm hole to allow the bolt to pass through. Repeat this for each plastic support. Assemble the brackets to the drilled plastic supports with the bolts. Test fit the assembly to the hole to ensure that the "L" brackets are bent to be roughly flush with the curvature of the hole in the heater unit. Keep in mind that this, like all 924 plastic, is brittle and breaks rather easily. Line up the assembly at the same height where the plastic supports were cut and mark where the holes on the brackets line up. You may need to pre-drill to be able to thread the screws into the plastic. Do not tighten them much as they will strip. I have even seen these glued into the housing sucessfully. If all else fails, it is possible to thread the brackets for small bolts and actually use the protruding bolts to hold the assembly into stripped holes in the heater. This sounds rather complex, but it is still much easier than the alternative. I did my friend's car in about two hours. I have made three drawings covering this procedure. PM me with your email and I will send.
Daniel

Last edited by Dans931 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
endwrench  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write-up! Nice time saver.

Todd
Paul  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures please!
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Dans931  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: heater Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this was on my friends 81, which he no longer has. My 82 has the newer 944 type heater. I have made drawings, PM and I will send.
Daniel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: