Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

front seal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GRATIAN  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to replace my front crankshaft seal.What exactly i have to do?
gohim  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front crankshaft seal is also the seal for the oil pump. To change the crankshaft oil seal you will need to remove the accessory drive belt, balance shaft belt, and timing belt. You will need the Porsche P9201 Tension Gauge to retension the belts when you are done (about $500 for the tool). While you are in there, you should replace all of the oil seals on the front of the engine. Since the crankshaft seal was leaking (oil ruins the belts), and you have to remove the belts anyway, you should replace all. Many people replace all of the pulleys, rollers, and water pump while they are in there because of the high cost of the labor that is already involved.

Cost for parts? front seal kit $75-$100, belts, rollers, pulleys $125, water pump $100-$200.

The timing and balance shaft belts must be retensioned after 2K miles, checked every 10K miles, and replaced every 30K miles, or three years.
carnut280  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could do it the yuppie way, take it to your Porsche Tech...but first make freinds with him, he may give you a discount...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: