Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

gas leak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
junk  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new to me 87 924s
It has a fuel leak in the rear. I am almost sure it is coming from the filler neck. any advice on doing the job myself?
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - do it!

Not hard to get to the filler neck; just lift up the carpet and unbolt the plastic or aluminum cover over the filler neck.

I assume you only have it leaking/smelling of gas when it's full?

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Maachan  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car developped gas smell long time ago.

First it was from brittle rubber hose on plastic tank located in c-piller, just forward of the filler neck. To reach that you need to peel off upostery in that area. Used soapy water to detect leak.

Next the smell was from the tank its self. It has cracks where breather pipe run though across top of the tank. To reach it you need to remove the tank from the car or do what I did, cut trank area open !!!

In any case you need to identify the source of leak, where and what is leaking, gas or liquid.

Maachan
carnut280  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, My '87 924S also has a bit of a leak. but mine only happens when it is hot outside. anyone know what may be causin that?
Maachan  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The tank is seald so the fuel vapor does't escape into atomospher. EPA thing,,, When it's hot outside, the pressure is at highest. You may have a pin hole or crack on the tank. Or a loose hose clamp. Or weathered hose. One of these is permitting the vapor to leak when the pressure is high enough. When temp is low, there may not be leak, or so little you don't know it.
I think I had them all on my 87, 924S. Not all at once, of course.

It took me a while to figure it out how to chase vapor leak away, but now I think I've done it.

Maachan
carnut280  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. the plot thickens. I took my car out on the track today, and some REALLY funs stuff was happening. I made a fast, hard left turn, and the corner worker later told me that about a cup of gas fell from behind the right rear tire. every time I took the turn, I spilled some gas. Also, some gas escaped from under the cap, and streamed down the side of my car. what could cause that? PLEASE HELP!!! want to race with gas in the tank...
Maachan  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, carnut.

I thought you have leak only when it is hot outside....

The leak from gas cap could be from bad O-ring on the cap....

Leak when the car is making left turn is from anyting that's on right of the car, breather hose disconnected,,, filler to tank connect hose broke,,,, fuel sender unit loose,,,big hole on the side of the tank,,,,

Expose evrething you can and have your assistant hop on the back of the car. Go to big empty parking lot and run around in left turn to see if your assistant see anyting coming out,,,,,, from the tank, of course.

Good Luck,
Maachan

PS I do not hold any responsibility to what I say.('-')!!
carnut280  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanx. I had my car looked at, and there was nothing visible wrong with it, so I ordered a new gas cap seal. that should be coming in the the next day or two, but that is all that we could find wrong. so, I hope for the best. Thanx again for the help.
ToddG5150  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps at all, towards the bottom of my website there is a recall letter I scanned in that the original owner of my car received regarding fuel leaks.

[url]home.swbell.net/thetodd[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: