Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

better motor mounts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TroyDest  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the point where I should replace my motor mounts if I'm going to. The right (spring) mount looks wishy-washy and I know they fail. A while back, someone mentioned custom mounts they were making for racecars (I think in Australia). Anybody have any thoughts on this? -Troy
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at that point too, but I'm willing to settle for the stock versions. I hear the right side is most likely to fail first and it's the same on both a 924na and 924T and they're available, so no trouble getting that. It seems the left side mount is different though. They're available for the 924na, but not for the 924T. If anyone's had any experience with this, I was wondering if I could get the 924na part and add a washer, grind somewhere, or weld a piece on to make it fit a 924T? I realize anything's possible and it could be done, but has anyone out there actually done it?
friskynibbles  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't got any mounts for mine, methinks.

kevrl  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The uprated engine mounts are available from the UK, where they use them in the 924 race series.

http://www.vibratechnics.freeserve.co.uk/competition.html

Kevin
numbers  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Kevin. Can you check the cost and make sure that they work on the Turbo?
kevrl  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, as far as I know they are mainly used on track racing 924 non-turbo's over here, but I see no reason why they shouldn't fit the Turbo - check with the US distributor :-

New Dimensions
2240 De La Cruz Blvd
Santa Clara
CA

Phone. 1 800 6372781
Web site. http:/www.newdimensions.com

If they are any good, then let us all know, it would be good to have an engine mount that lasted longer than 30,000 miles. 30,000 miles is apparently how long the standard mounts maintain their efficiency for.

Kevin
John Brown  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a picture and description of the mounts in the Tech Section (which I guess nobody every looks at).

Perhaps Vaughan could add a link there and info about the US source.
John Brown  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ND knows nothing about Porsche parts. They only 'do' Audi/VW. They could look into special ordering the Porsche mounts. Would take 4 to 5 weeks (she told me).

Going to try contacting the manufacturer directly. FWIW, they contacted the 924 site (me) couple of years back requesting we share info about the mounts with our membership.

FWIW, there are two problems with the stock 924 mount on the RH side. First, battery acid eventually kills the spring. Second, it is much to soft for track use. Lets the engine move under hard cornering and in left hand turns stuff will hit the frame and headers tend to hit the lower A-arm. I've bent the headers to my lil hearts content without total effect; the solution for me was to fabricate a motion limiter from old tire carcass and stick that between the mount and the frame rail.

So, if you are driving only on the street stick with the stock part. Does the job. If on the track make the usual track type mods whatever is best for you.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called New Dim. and they have no knowledge of the mounts. Keyrl could you get some info and email directly then postto the board.

Thanks
numbers  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent an email off to Vibratechnics, the UK supplier. I will let you know when they respond.
kevrl  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm , yes i've sent them a mail too. If they don't reply by this time next week, i'll phone them.

Kevin
dwak  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Porsche buddy/mechanic/idiot savant is hell bent on building a right mount. I'll let you know how it works.

dwak
TroyDest  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I've taken a close look at the 931 mounts with the motor out and the frame cleaned up, I don't see why we don't just use two left mounts. The right and left are the exact same bolt pattern and interchangeable. I think I'd rather lose the damping factor of the spring than worry about it eventually breaking. I looked at the diagram of the Vibratechnics mount in the tech section and all they did was to replace the spring with a solid piece of rubber. If I wanted to go that way I could just turn something on my buddy's lathe. I was also thinking of using the 944 mounts but realized they work in compression, not tension. -Troy
dwak  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy, how did your research project go? I went factory because I didn't cancel my order in time.
dwak
TroyDest  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Research project...you're giving me too much credit. I'm just gonna grab a non-turbo left mount next time I go to the wrecking yard. I'll use it for the right side in my car. I don't really like the way our motors bounce around anyway with the spring mount. Sure I'll feel the motor more, but come on, it's not like the 924 is for comfort driving. -Troy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: