Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

David Ewing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! I think I'll move to North America and sell Aussie aftermarket EMSs. Don't know for sure about Motecs, more power than I'd ever need, but from what I've heard they range from $2500 to $3500 (AUD).
Cbass  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Jesus, you Aussies get every so cheap... must be less greedy retailers.

I'm buying an ECU soon, I have to take a good look at it and see exactly what makes it tick. Then, I'll copy and improve enough things so they can't sue me. Then, I buy wholesale fuel rails and injectors, as well as barrel valves. A little fabrication with my $8000 mandrel, and we have custom barrel valve intakes with ECUs and fuel injection.

Who would pay how much for these, BTW?
JvGinPDX  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance here, I am reminded of the EFI system that came with my 73 Volvo. Same engine size. What is different about the modern EFI systems? The Volvo unit worked well when it felt like it. Its flaw was that it measured resistance, and as the system aged, resistance increased. It was replaced in 74 with the system that the early 924 used. The Volvo engine was good for 115 HP with the EFI, so I wonder if it might be worth putting on the 924 for more power. Opinions Please......
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JvGinPDX, I think there might be a terminology problem. I don't know Volvos (but I do think the P1800 is cute) but I doubt they were running Electronic Fuel Injection back in '73 more than likely they were running mechanical fuel injection (like the 924).

The problem with adding the EFI from one engine to another is all the sensors and the maps in the computer which are difficult or impossible to change. Really, if you want to add EFI to a 924 you need some type of aftermarket programmable EMS to control it
-nick  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was curious if anyone had checked out:
http://www.034.efi.com

this looks like a well engineered piece of equipment. at $800 it's one of the cheapest i've seen. there are some audi turbo guys running it with great success. i'm beginning to feel the itch to remove some CIS...

-nick
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad link? couldn't get it to show any page.
ricomartinez  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it to work by removing the dot between 034 and efi.
http://www.034efi.com

Looks like it was designed for a 5 cylinder though.

-nick  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's adaptable to any cylinders.

-nick
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They want too much for the fuel rail. The electronics look interesting though... We'll see if I can do any better.
-nick  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can adapt a 944 fuel rail. that's the easy part. the dyno time is the real wallet stretcher.

are you an electrical engineer to make these yourself?

-nick
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made my own from aluminum (square) tubing and a cut up rail from a Pontiac at the junk yard, then welded all the bits together. Each injector is exactly 95mm apart which made things really easy. I am able to use Mustang SVO injectors (35lb), and because I used the injector bosses from the Pontiac fuel rail, they have these really nice clips that keep the injectors from popping out under pressure. Check out the pictures on my page

(www.alexroy.net)

I am getting giddy, the car is SOOO close I can feel it. (just need to get a crank trigger wheel made and a fuel pressure regulator and pump).

[ This Message was edited by: Alex Roy on 2002-04-26 10:40 ]
Cbass  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no electrical engineer. I have somebody else doing the electronics, I'm building the injection system. I also will be offering custom intakes, exhaust and turbo hardware kits.(have to provide your own turbo and IC)
-nick  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the electronics _are_ the fuel system for efi. the only other components are a fuel rail, a regulator, injectors, and a couple sensors to work with the electronics. i'm not sure i understand what you mean by "building the injection system"?

Alex, what was wrong with the stock intake? the throttle body placement?

-nick
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex do the injectors from the mustang svo fit just like that or did they need to be modified?
Alex Roy  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I modified the intake manifold because I wanted the throttle body on the side like the 951's, and also because I wanted as few bends in the intake lines as possible.

The head needs to be drilled out to fit the injectors, it is by no means a plug-in-and-go type of thing.

I'll try to have some pictures up of the intake pipes and intercooler stuff all installed within a few minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: