Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

OOOOH SH*T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some realy bad news guys. I was just driving along on my way home and sudenly my oil light goes on and then the oil pressure goes to 0 psi. I said "OH SHIT"!!! I turned off the car and looked for leaks. There arent any I also checked the oil, it was full. So I Think its my oil pump but how could a oil pump on a 87 924S just fail. I noticed about 5 days ago that it would take a little longer to get oil pressure when I started the car and the lifters would tick for a little bit but then it would be fine. Also If I stoped and turned the car off and left it for about 20min it would do the same thing and the lifters would tick. So the oil isnt staying in the cam housing and some how is allowed to drain back. I dont want to pull my engine to get to the oil pump and find out that it is ok. SO I NEED HELP. Is it my oil pump???? What should I DO??
edd1em  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add oil?
924Kid  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will help but my car does/did the same thing. I had my mechanic look at it when I brought the car in for something else. He told me I needed a valve adjustment ($25). So he did that, and I also had him change the oil. This helped for quite awhile, tho it eventually started to make that clacking noise upon start-up again, and burned excess oil. Anyway, point is that maybe it IS your oil pump? Also, he told me that the problem was not the little tube that runs under the cam cover and lubricates the valves.
larso  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oil pressure relief valve may be stuck open, easy fix, oil pumps don't usually go.
Joes924  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its time for me to do mry valves also but ive had ticking on start up till oil gets there. but never had the lights come on or drop in pressure like that think larso s right maybe. Joe
Mike B  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also look at the guage and wiring...Sometimes the sender and/or and electrical problem can be the culprit...A bad ground caused all sorts of wacky temp. readings on our 924...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out what the problem is. The god dam oil pick up that goes into the oil pan. It some how has fallen off. I dont know if it broke or just came loose. I have to drop the suspension and take the oil pan off. Thanx for the help guys I got some work ahead of me.
edd1em  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was you, I would find out how it would just "fall off", hopefully that would prevent me from fixing it twice.
my 1/4cents
Dave  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the car apart and the pick up hose cracked. This could have happened because when I rebuilt the engine I put in used pick up and return lines. I have ordered the parts and It should be on the road in like 2 weeks depending on when I get the parts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: