Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

450HP with 490 ft.-lb of torque

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porsche924boy  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: 450HP with 490 ft.-lb of torque Reply with quote

Description:
For those who demand high horsepower-to-weight ratios, Mopar Performance Parts offers the ultimate. This aluminum Viper V10 engine also has the distinctive good looks of a racing thoroughbred. Features include:
• 450 horsepower with 490 ft.-lbs. of torque
• 488 cubic inches of V10 power
• A-356 aluminum block and heads
• Stainless steel tubular exhaust manifolds
• Twin 64mm throttle bodies
• Engine wiring harness
• Airconditioning compressor
• Clutch and flywheel
• Power steering pump asssembly
• 130 amp alternator
• Serpentine belt drive
• Heavy duty engine stand and heavy duty shipping crate

Overall dimensions of the Viper engine are: top to bottom - 26", front to rear - 34-1/2", width across the valve covers - 23"

To see thise engine go to http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/385/
I think it would be neat to Transplant that in a 924.

So anyway what would you have to do to fit that in a 924????

Auto Technician Diploma
Diesel Technician Diploma
Adie  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How exactly are you going to control this power? just wondering because if you arn't sure how to get the engine into the car than the rest of the driveline will be a compleate headache. I know this because I have measured and played with this thought on and off for a while, however I like to research the engine a lot before I go ahead. The V10 produces power slightly differently from the V8 and V6, the torque curve is more liek a sharp peak and than a flat graph, due to the amount of sparks to rotation and torque loading on the crank it will eat up anything but the most expensive transmissions, cryo treated 944 turbo trans will not cut it with this engine, you have to go the next step, along with drive shafts and also probably look into beefine up the TT. However everytime I think of a neat conversion the V10 always makes an appearence in my minds list.
Porsche924boy  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that stuff. You would get a drivetrain that could sustain the the power. and a new transaxle that would also sustain the power.

Auto Technician Diploma
CBass  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, that motor weighs 650lbs, and is huge. It's twice as heavy as the 924 engine. It's a long engine, and wide, and you would have a hard time fitting exhaust manifolds to it. It is also outlandishly expensive.

As for the drivetrain, a 951 tranny and and torque tube would be very stressed under that kind of load.
Darin81T  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, and 450hp is ridiculously low for how much money that motor costs. Buy an LT1 or LS1 and supercharge/turbocharge it and get 500+hp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
wuilman  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: v-10 Reply with quote

mopar=mo money, mo parts, mo problems! do some research compare some chrysler parts to gm parts. and you would have to do a lot of cutting to fit that giant thing into anything, hence why the front of the viper is so long, and why they put it back in a truck. (and it was a truck engine to begin with.)also if you ever listen closely to a vipers exhaust note it sounds kinda funny, know why? cause it fires 2 cylinders simultaneousely on the power stroke. am i rambling on?..........sorry guys
Porsche924boy  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't put the motor in my car unless you payed me. I just posted it so you guys could give me ideas, Cause the motor i would put in there would be a Ford 302 DOHC, with mustang racing EFI, A NOVI 2000 Supercharger, a Super High Pulley KIT, MSD 7 Drag Racing Ignition, MSD Dizzy, MSD Racing Sparkplug Wires, Denzo Iranium spark plugs, GT40X Turbo Swirl Heads, Hooker Headers, Cobra intake manifold,
NOS Horse Power Cams, Super Hemi pistons, Cheater timing gears, Super Hard Crank, H-Beams, Super Blue Pushrods, Dual Valve Spring, Racing Rockers, Racing Valves, 80mm throttle, AEM ECU,and a SUPER WET MUSTANG NOS kit.

Auto Technician Diploma
and003  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Viper Engine In A 924? Reply with quote

Porsche924boy wrote:
I wouldn't put the motor in my car unless you paid me. I just posted it so you guys could give me ideas.

As much as I like the Viper engine, I wouldn't use it, either. For Mopar power, I would use a 3G Hemi from the SRT line-up ... specifically, a 3G 426 Hemi crate engine from Arrington Performance, which has considerably more horsepower and torque than the Viper mill, but in a smaller and more convenient package.
Sveina  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love my Viper, but that engine in a 924/944 would be difficult and problematic. If such a engine are to be used you probably need a complete custom front end of the car to the firewall, and probably modify the firewall to get the engine nearer the coupe to get a good weight balace. And the clutch on that thing is very large, so would need to cut the transaxle well up too. Then will need to use a transaxle, cause the T56 is very large and it's not place for it other than in the back.. But it does not have a diff. To complete this I would have looked more into the original trans with upgraded internals from Audis motorsport division.

The Viper engine is not the same as found in a truck, as some have stated here above. And the tuning potential is great and easy to achieve. The forged motors will handle about 1000 hp pretty stock. Stock the power curve is very flat, with alot of pulling power already at 1200 rpm until about 5500 rpm. In the Viper I have run it on 25.5 US MPG.

I am suprised nobody have used Audi 5 cylinder engine more. Would be a better and easier fit with lots of potential
Porsche 951 1987 RoW 400 hp+
Porsche 951 1987 RoW 230 hp daily driver
Dodge Viper GTS 2001 soon supercharged
MB E320 CDI 4matic 2007
x 4 Porsches and lots of cars from different brands
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwahahahahahahaha

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: