Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Wire Harness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warped  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Is this myth or fact? I was talking to a friend at work that mentioned the idea of purchasing a complete packaging of all the wires within the car called a wire harness. It would be semi already connected, and you could just lay it all out in your car, and replace everyone of your wires with the new ones.

This sounds almost to good to be true? especially when almost every one of my wires is cracked and in need of being replaced...I'm sure.

If this is true, where would I get something like this? I'm sure NAPA, or your everyday Auto store would not carry it.
TroyDest  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's true that you can get a complete wire harness that is already assembled with connectors and wire covering. But the only possible place to get it new would be the dealer and it would be way too damn expensive! If you don't want to tackle the wires yourself, you might get lucky and either find a car at a wrecker or get the harness from someone who is building a racer and has removed the wires. Good luck, Troy.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really think another used 20-yr old set of wires would have less problems than yours? Maybe. Or you could fix problems as you find them with new wires.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
kyhm  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went this route last summer. Before the rebuild I had flaky lights, flickering gauges, intermittent ignition problems, "ghost" wipers, and lots of other problems.

I pulled the dash harness out, replaced all wires which were vsibly discolored or had unreasonably high resistance. Also integrated my alarm, new stereo, and driving lamps at the same time, and re-arranged some existing circuits...

It seems to have exterminated the the car's electrical gremlins, plus I have an alarm that's very difficult to bypass and lights that behave the way I want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: