Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Dim Dash Lights - Solution Illuminated!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun!

For better dash illumination, replace the stock bulbs (I think they're 1.1W) with Sylvania P/N 2723 (or equivalent) which is a 2.3W bulb - goes in all dash bulb sockets, as well as the ashtray light.

See also the notes in the FAQ (I think they're there) about how to properly ground the dash).

Drive in Brightness!
(and pity the poor guys in the British cars

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
yOnKiNaToR  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if you used a colored bulb or put those colored condoms on the bulb if it would emit a bright light of your color? something to try.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather not, as that would reduce the precious output of the bulbs. At least put it this way - change the gauge faces first; then, with white faces, you might be able to actually see even with a different color.

I would like them in red, though. Maybe a transparent paint? Red marker? The bulbs are very small, and so not easy to cover with plastic - about 0.25" dia.

I do have spares, though, could see what it looks like with magic marker...

Maybe I'll do that now, it's dark out!

'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, a red Sharpie did it... I now have a red tach...

But I don't like it, I'm cleaning them off. Just a personal preference thing, like it well enough in my Pontiac.

I really need to get into the business selling the high-output red lightbulbs... buy the 2.3W ones in bulk, have some poor immigrant (me) in a backroom with a Sharpie coloring bulbs all day, and then turn around and sell them in sets for $20 per car... heh heh...

'79 924 #77 ITA Blue/White
'82 931 Platinum Metallic
Plymouth, MI
http://www.vaughanscott.com
Webmeister

[ This Message was edited by: 924RACR on 2002-04-12 12:44 ]
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally just gone and added that dim bulb info to the Tech Section... thought it was already in there! Sorry!

'82 931 Plat. Silver
D Hook  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! What a great visual! Poor Vaughn hunched over in a dark room with millions of bulbs and a sharpie, rakin' in the dough.

I've got the white gauge faces and that's helped alot. But will definetly be switching to the higher output lamps.

Where I work, we have something called Roscolene, which is a lamp dip for coloring light bulbs used on stage scenery. I might give that a try. See how much transmission of light it cuts down. I don't want the saturation of color, prefer more clear but I'd like just a hint of color. A little less harsh on the white background.
924Kid  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to that post about guage faces... why the hell are those things so damn expensive!? They're usually almost more money than the actual guage theyre going in, isn't it just a piece of paper?!
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're so expensive because enough people are apparently willing to pay. They put a nice picture in a catalog, the new Porsche owners with deep pockets say, "ooh ooh gotta have it" - well, something like that...

Yo Vaughn, get yourself set up with a few jars of candy apple lacquer - red, green, blue, whatever...and some tweezers - you're in business!
D Hook  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

924Kid: Have you checked ebay?
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red sunglasses $1.99 ea. I am taking orders.
Easily reversible just take them off. Also, have other colors, magenta, olive, purple, yellow, green, tan and blue.
Sorry they only come in heart shaped rims in white. [Lolita style]
924Kid  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHook, I usually only see Turbo or 944 guage faces....my point was why are they so expensive new? Seems like I could just find the pattern somewhere, size it to guages on a computer, and print it on a really good printer.
D Hook  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a link, posted by WDB I think, that showed customized gauge faces that you can print out and afix to your stock gauges. Those were just paper. The ones I bought off ebay were aluminum backed and some kind of plastic material on the front. Very nice. And I believe they're identical to the ones in the PP and Tweeks catalogs. Here's the web site.

http://h2ovw.com/

I talked w/Cathy after I bought mine on ebay because the oil pressure gauge I have goes to 10 bar and the one they sent only goes to 5. Very nice lady. She immediately mailed me out the proper one.

They run about $80US if you buy off their web site but I know I've seen them on ebay alot. If I see them again, I'll email you the auction number. But even at $80 that's still much cheaper than PP and Tweeks. Plus the customer service is very good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: