Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

catalytic test pipe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cs  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know where i could get a test pipe for a 931. would i be better off just going to a good muffler shop and having them make me one.
larso  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you going to do about the wastegate out pipe, since it enters right into the cat?
I would get a test pipe, or a cherry bomp cigar muffler in place of the cat, and put a seperate straight pipe from the wastegate pipe out the back
cs  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that's the biggest problem i'm having is that the waste gate goes right into it. i saw a test pipe for sale at AA, but that's out of the question. i think a good shop could rig something up. maybe cut off the old connector and weld it onto a straight peice of pipe.
Dave  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens If you just dont connect the wastegate to anything. Just run a pipe to nothing.
larso  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, as long as you rout it to the back of the car Dave.

It will sound nice.

I think the wastegate pipes should be bigger than they are...your wastegate opens up at high RPMS, so get a bigger pipe if u want.
numbers  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably wouldn't notice any difference with a test pipe, because your cat probably doesn't have anything in it. The ceramic that the catalyst was attached to gets hard and crumbles after a few years, and it all goes out the tail pipe. To check it, just remove your cat and look inside with a flashlight. You probably just have a hollow 3 1/2 shell. Better than any test pipe, and your waste gate pipe still fits. If there is still anything in your cat, just take a long screwdriver or some other long metal rod, and break it up an dump it in the trash.
larso  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cat's r heavy though and they still aren't as smooth flowing as a pipe right? since the exhaust has to go through something big for a few inches, and then go into something small when it hits the end of the cat.
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollow the cat out if you don't have to worry about emissions. Everything else is too expensive for the small difference it will make.
Michael Kouridakis  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car ('82 931)just passed the NJ inspection for emissions. My car still has the original cat and all pipes. I wonder if the cat has any catalyst left in it. I can't believe that it passed. Turbos kick booty.
-nick  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my '77 cat was actually in pretty good shape before i gutted it out a while ago. it took some muscling to get all the ceramic out. i always thought they were pretty indestuctible. have you had problems with them in the past?

-nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: