Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Rear quarter glass removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get the rear quarter glass out of the car, how do I do it? I was messing with it and it seems like the only thing holding it is the rubber and it should just pop out but I can't seem to get it out. Is there some kind of special trick to it?

Thanks
Benski  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been about two years since I've had to take one out but I think I remember the trick.

Take a flathead screwdriver and from the inside of the car, try to get the rubber trim to other side of the car section by section. It's tedious at first but once you get the hang of it, the second window won't be so bad.

numbers  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a small flat blade screw driver. Carefully insert the screw driver between the rubber and the window at the lower front corner of the window on the inside of the car by prying down on the rubber. Now pry the rubber on the outside down at the same spot with your finger nail or another small screw driver and slide the first screw driver on through, so that you have a complete channel between the glass and the rubber. Tie one end of a 2 foot piece of sturdy nylon twine around the screw driver above the flat part of the blade. Now pull the screwdriver back through the channel under the glass taking the string with it. You may need to use the second screw driver to facilitate getting the string through without it coming off of the first screw driver. Now remove the screw driver from the string. You now have the string running between the glass and the rubber. Hold the inside end of the string up, and the outside end down and slide the string along the perimeter of the glass. The rubber on the outside will simply slip behind the glass. You will need an assistant to hold the glass in place, because as you get toward the end of the of the perimeter, the glass will just fall out. This is just like removing a tire from a wheel. The string just replaces the tire changing machine. You can use the string to reinstall the new glass in the same manner. Just put the string over the center of the lower channel of the rubber, and then push the bottom of the glass down into the lower channel, forcing the string down into the channel. In this case, hold both ends of the string up, and slide around the perimeter and the rubber will slide right into place on the outside of the glass. Both the removal and the reinstallation are easier if you sprat the rubber and the glass with some silcone lube first. Hope this helps. Vaughan, you might want to post this in the tech section.
wdb  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP OFF GARFIELDS LEGS ! ! ,those suction cups will help you get a grip on the glass :cry:

[ This Message was edited by: wdb on 2002-03-07 13:51 ]
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, I got it. I just slid a screwdriver in behind the bottom front corner of rubber and I pried and the side came out. From there I just worked the other sides out.
Jrod-13  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They come out the same way as the rear window on a pickup truck..

Iv actualy seen people just give them a boot from the inside, and let had someone catch them on the other side. Did it work? yes, Did the window break? no, would I try it, definatly not!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: